Journalists Wandering Eyes Posted 3 hours ago Journalists Posted 3 hours ago Industry stakeholders within the European bloodstock business will have cause for relief after Donald Trump's controversial tariffs were struck down by the US Supreme Court on Friday. A cloud of uncertainty had been hovering over the movement of horses to the US since Trump's tariffs were first mooted last year. However, with a 6-3 majority, the Supreme Court ruled that Trump exceeded his authority when he imposed tariffs via a law reserved for national emergencies. They also said that he needs congressional approval to impose taxes on imports. It has been reported that over 1,600 horses have been permanently imported into America from Britain and Ireland alone over the past four years alone. Under Trump's tariffs, imports arriving from Britain were due to incur a 10 per cent tariff, while those coming from the EU were to be charged 20 per cent. Not only does Friday's announcement have a major impact on sales companies such as Goffs, Arqana and Tattersalls, but the quashing of any tariffs is also good news to the private horses-in-training market, which has been so strong historically. Trump told reporters the Supreme Court's ruling was “deeply disappointing” and that he's ashamed of “certain members of the court for not having the courage to do what's right for our country”. The post Donald Trump’s Controversial Tariffs Struck Out By US Supreme Court appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions. View the full article Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.