Bit Of A Yarn

Competition Moderation

Chief Stipe

7 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Subsequently personal messages were shared and taken out of context.  As always people have taken sides and distorted and embellished what has happened.  So now it becomes a situation where I have said stuff that I didn't say or inferred stuff I didn't mean to infer.

No, you can try to distort the facts as much as you like but Steve P's post and VC's post spell it out pretty clearly for all to see.

You should just admit it - I reckon people would respect you more if you did.  Just my opinion. Cheers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mo Salah said:

No, you can try to distort the facts as much as you like but Steve P's post and VC's post spell it out pretty clearly for all to see.

You should just admit it - I reckon people would respect you more if you did.  Just my opinion. Cheers.

As I said you haven't read the whole trail of messages.  I wasn't aware that I was conversing with "Steve Paul" during those conversations.

Look I set this site up using my money and substantial amounts of time.  Both of which I still provide.  Sometimes I think Hesi was right when he called me a fool.

In the overall context of how forums are run I think most of you get a pretty good run here.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hesi said:

For what you believe were good intentions and actions Doug, the inescapable fact is, you have managed to alienate a number of people who have made substantial contributions, other than just posting, to the site.

Hesi alot of people have alienated themselves over small things that are pretty insignificant, when people got what they wanted after leaving R.C they still found things on here to bitch and moan about even though they were small in the scheme of things, Doug isn't always going to get everything right, but then neither are the rest of us and we just have to move on or small things become out of control......competition side of things is generally the side of this site that's a pleasure to be involved with, bit of a laugh and banter where everyone puts their opinions to one side and gets in on the fun.......pity it has to go down this path now.?

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

Words and how we interpret them is a funny thing really as it is a very personal thing as are tones associated with words which is why I often put smiley faces  :)   - historians have been interpreting facts and documentation as they see fit for years to support their theories and each historian will emphasise information that supports their arguments and gloss over information or facts that don't.    

CS's words can be interpreted in two ways and looking at interpretations of his words by some posters above, I interpret them differently.

"Excuse me but in a competition where everyone is relying on everyone's picks remaining as posted before closing time you choose to completely rewrite one!!

What message does that send to everyone?

Not only that it wasnt your competition"

The post was changed in a selection (picks) thread which is CS's first sentence above - it's a competition thread where everyone is expecting their picks to remain as posted and in that thread a "post" was edited (CS's words "completely rewrite one!!).   Then we see the second sentence - saying what message does that send?   So the changing of a post in a competition entry thread is sending a message.   If CS was referring to picks being changed then it wouldn't be sending a message, it would be more serious -  It would be blatant messing with someone's picks.

Sure the "completely" was a bit of an exaggeration but as he said, CS couldn't see how the original post looked.  

I voiced a concern in the thread, one post, I would voice that concern again as I think it was a valid concern.   For one, I wanted to see what Howie orignally posted, second, because it wasn't anyone's post to alter, but Howie, and third, it was PJ's comp thread.  I note your post John, but I didn't make a mountain out of a molehill, I voiced a concern.  How others reacted after that turned it into a mountain and I note that TC apologised to Howie and even offered to change it back,  as has been posted by Howie himself.  TC acknowledged that it was an error in judgement but with the best of intentions.  We all understand and accept that.

CS wanted to assure posters that he didn't condone the editing of any post and re-emphasised his stance on this when giving out moderation rights to forum users.

CS apologised if his reposting of his view on moderation rights upset anyone, but again whether that is accepted or not is a personal thing and each is entitled to accept the apology or not.  He also said that he felt it was necessary to reprimand a transgressor of those rules for transparency and to assure posters.

Stan Walker said something recently in an interview with regards to himself and how people viewed him  - "If you don't know everything, then you know nothing"  :)    I don't think any of us knows everything about this.

I felt like calling it a day too a couple of nights ago but then thought better of it because it's not fair on my team, (although the way I've been selecting lately perhaps it would be very fair :), or on the opposition, or PJ or anyone else that has competed in this competition up until now week in week out hoping to make it to the Semi's.

I agree with some of the posts above that say let's move on, if for nothing else, for PJ and the time he puts into this comp for forum users to enjoy when he could be doing many other things in his busy life.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hesi said:

For what you believe were good intentions and actions Doug, the inescapable fact is, you have managed to alienate a number of people who have made substantial contributions, other than just posting, to the site.

and so have you, Hesi! The big difference being that this is CS' s site. He makes the rules, and prospers (or not) according to the way the site is managed. You and Pete set up your own version - mainly because you disagreed with CS's approach to Moderation of certain 'posters' - and didn't attract an audience sufficient to justify the time/energy/money invested. Poor form, old boy! Many people are loyal to this site because it is almost invariably good fun (esp the Comps) /well managed/insightful. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Weasel said:

and so have you, Hesi! The big difference being that this is CS' s site. He makes the rules, and prospers (or not) according to the way the site is managed. You and Pete set up your own version - mainly because you disagreed with CS's approach to Moderation of certain 'posters' - and didn't attract an audience sufficient to justify the time/energy/money invested. Poor form, old boy! Many people are loyal to this site because it is almost invariably good fun (esp the Comps) /well managed/insightful. 

Just a brief return in the interests of accuracy.

You may wish wholeheartedly that our site is defunct Weasel but it isn't.

We are getting a healthy number of posts from the disaffected and John and Brian are running excellent comps that are getting good participation.

I couldn't give a flying you know what about your thoughts on our site but please get your facts straight.

Over and out once more.

• Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure of where it has got to with John and TC, whether you are continuing or not in the comp semis

But regardless of what else has been said I believe it is owed to PJ out of respect, to finish off the current comp, then your obligations are over

After all, none of this is of PJ'S.  making

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Mk2_Zephyr said:

Look if you don't like the way the Chief is running the site, then PISS OFF.

Oh you can't ..... because you burnt all those other bridges .....  :D

All this technical point scoring is just boring.

Well done Chief - looks like you've lost a couple of deadbeats like TC and John but you've got reputable characters like Mk2 and Thomass on your side - you must be doing something right.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Words and how we interpret them is a funny thing really as it is a very personal thing as are tones associated with words which is why I often put smiley faces  :)   - historians have been interpreting facts and documentation as they see fit for years to support their theories and each historian will emphasise information that supports their arguments and gloss over information or facts that don't.    

CS's words can be interpreted in two ways and looking at interpretations of his words by some posters above, I interpret them differently.

"Excuse me but in a competition where everyone is relying on everyone's picks remaining as posted before closing time you choose to completely rewrite one!!

What message does that send to everyone?

Not only that it wasnt your competition"

The post was changed in a selection (picks) thread which is CS's first sentence above - it's a competition thread where everyone is expecting their picks to remain as posted and in that thread a "post" was edited (CS's words "completely rewrite one!!).   Then we see the second sentence - saying what message does that send?   So the changing of a post in a competition entry thread is sending a message.   If CS was referring to picks being changed then it wouldn't be sending a message, it would be more serious -  It would be blatant messing with someone's picks.

Sure the "completely" was a bit of an exaggeration but as he said, CS couldn't see how the original post looked.  

I voiced a concern in the thread, one post, I would voice that concern again as I think it was a valid concern.   For one, I wanted to see what Howie orignally posted, second, because it wasn't anyone's post to alter, but Howie, and third, it was PJ's comp thread.  I note your post John, but I didn't make a mountain out of a molehill, I voiced a concern.  How others reacted after that turned it into a mountain and I note that TC apologised to Howie and even offered to change it back,  as has been posted by Howie himself.  TC acknowledged that it was an error in judgement but with the best of intentions.  We all understand and accept that.

CS wanted to assure posters that he didn't condone the editing of any post and re-emphasised his stance on this when giving out moderation rights to forum users.

CS apologised if his reposting of his view on moderation rights upset anyone, but again whether that is accepted or not is a personal thing and each is entitled to accept the apology or not.  He also said that he felt it was necessary to reprimand a transgressor of those rules for transparency and to assure posters.

Stan Walker said something recently in an interview with regards to himself and how people viewed him  - "If you don't know everything, then you know nothing"  :)    I don't think any of us knows everything about this.

I felt like calling it a day too a couple of nights ago but then thought better of it because it's not fair on my team, (although the way I've been selecting lately perhaps it would be very fair :), or on the opposition, or PJ or anyone else that has competed in this competition up until now week in week out hoping to make it to the Semi's.

I agree with some of the posts above that say let's move on, if for nothing else, for PJ and the time he puts into this comp for forum users to enjoy when he could be doing many other things in his busy life.

zzzzzzzzz

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, hesi said:

Not sure of where it has got to with John and TC, whether you are continuing or not in the comp semis

But regardless of what else has been said I believe it is owed to PJ out of respect, to finish off the current comp, then your obligations are over

John has told me that he will send his selections and TC's selections through to me to post for this weekend (and next weekend if required).  They love PJ's comps far too much to not see this particular comp through.  They also have way too much respect for PJ to leave part way through a competition.

They of course have no respect whatsoever for several other people on this thread/forum.

Looking forward to the semi-finals this weekend.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Weasel said:

Maxi, I honestly believe you are spending too much time underground.

Have had some quite acerbic dialogue with 2 other people who thought like you.  They eventually saw things in a different light and joined TRP, and I believe still contribute to BOAY.

So that bit of time above ground may well do your thinking good, and even though you are doing your darndest to burn a few bridges, you will always be welcome to join TRP and contribute.......... and I promise I will guarantee not to alienate you:)

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mo Salah said:

Well done Chief - looks like you've lost a couple of deadbeats like TC and John but you've got reputable characters like Mk2 and Thomass on your side - you must be doing something right.

Deadbeats nah, but if you scratch the paint a little, they are just as bad as everyone else ...  ;) 

This putting people on pedestals is a frigging joke  ....... 

• Champ Post 1

On 18/04/2019 at 11:50 AM, Chestnut said:

Hear hear.

Imagine if you were a captain in one of PJ's draft comps and your first round pick was the 4th pick in the draft.  Crucial that you make good use of your first pick and with so many strong players still to pick from.  Imagine if you made your choice, feeling like you'd picked the right person, only to have them withdraw from the comp after a couple of rounds.  So instead of having one of the other top round picks (who committed to the comp), you end up with the 41st selection.

I certainly agree that wouldn't be fair on your team, the opposition and PJ, and it certainly wouldn't be fair on your captain.

On 18/04/2019 at 9:57 AM, Mk2_Zephyr said:

Look if you don't like the way the Chief is running the site, then PISS OFF.

Oh you can't ..... because you burnt all those other bridges .....  :D

All this technical point scoring is just boring.

A site with Nimue, Crucible AND Hisi on it is doomed for trouble.

Start off all good like on RC then gradually want to take over.Then niggle niggle niggle.

Then gooooooone.On to third site apparently .That will be an eff up.

I'm picking public servants or teachers.Apologies to all good teachers.

Apple for the teacher types.Here PJ here is a nice granny Smith.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 1

Actually, run my own business, and before that an industrial chemist with responsibility for 20 staff.

But I do spend a lot of time whitebaiting according to Barry, who has actually turned out in the end to quite like me now:), and I quite like him too.

Puts his money where his mouth is, like me, unlike you

• Haha 2

MUSTELID MEDIA RELEASE (abbreviated to bullet points for the sake of everyone's sanity)

• Contrary to a recent allegation, captain Mustelid of The Rock Stars has not spent 'too much time underground'. He has merely asserted certain points of view with respect to the operation of BOAY and the recent debacle that resulted in the sad loss of TC and N1MUE from it.
  • Mustelid Maximus is impervious to the slings and arrows of outrageous niggle-some remarks intended to spoil his enjoyment of BOAY, its multitude of reasonable, entertaining and luvable Members (including you, Howie!), and in particular the Competitions run by the legendary PJ on this site.
  • The clearly focused eyes of this Mustelid and his Awesome Foursome are on tomorrow's Semi-Finals - an event of no interest to the posters of nigglesome remarks, probably because they failed to qualify. You might say they Reaped What They Did Sew ..and perhaps they did sew Sour Grapes and harvest them bountifully. Grim. Very Grim. 
  • Onwards and upwards, Rock Stars...study well and enjoy the Big Day tomorrow and trust in each other to give them TooFartyAgain some serious wind along the way. LET'S DO IT THEM BEFORE THEY DO IT TO US!

MM

D:

1 hour ago, hesi said:

Actually, run my own business, and before that an industrial chemist with responsibility for 20 staff.

But I do spend a lot of time whitebaiting according to Barry, who has actually turned out in the end to quite like me now:), and I quite like him too.

Puts his money where his mouth is, like me, unlike you

Shit steady on with the liking bit mate.

& dont bloody knock Whitebaiting I happen to have 3 nets in the shed and go often.

You are ok Hesi for a red.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mo Salah said:

Hear hear.

Imagine if you were a captain in one of PJ's draft comps and your first round pick was the 4th pick in the draft.  Crucial that you make good use of your first pick and with so many strong players still to pick from.  Imagine if you made your choice, feeling like you'd picked the right person, only to have them withdraw from the comp after a couple of rounds.  So instead of having one of the other top round picks (who committed to the comp), you end up with the 41st selection.

I certainly agree that wouldn't be fair on your team, the opposition and PJ, and it certainly wouldn't be fair on your captain.

Hi Mo, I know that you are describing me when Pete picked me for a team.   Yes I did withdraw, I had a death in the family, a very close family member and I had extra responsibilities at the time due to that, and couldn't always be sure that I would be around on the weekends, but instead of just going I made sure that there was an able replacement of Pam (Piccadilly) in place which Sharne helped me to organise.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2019 at 5:16 PM, hesi said:

perhaps those concerned might have showed their respect to PJ and ALL OTHER SUPER COMP CONTESTANTS before showing their selfish, careless attitudes displayed over the last few days

1 hour ago, Weasel said:

perhaps those concerned might have showed their respect to PJ and ALL OTHER SUPER COMP CONTESTANTS before showing their selfish, careless attitudes displayed over the last few days

Hey Weasel, are you referring to TC here?  Just to re-iterate something I posted above - TC has committed to finish this Super Comp.

Appears to me that he has the utmost respect for PJ and almost all other Super Comp contestants. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mo Salah said:

Hey Weasel, are you referring to TC here?  Just to re-iterate something I posted above - TC has committed to finish this Super Comp.

Appears to me that he has the utmost respect for PJ and almost all other Super Comp contestants. 

Of course not ...TC has a clear interest in seeing out the Comp!

• Like 1