Bit Of A Yarn

Riccarton All Weather Track - Q & A Forum 16 September 2020 - PLEASE READ.

4 hours ago, curious said:

Yeahh I watched the Matamata one blowing away a couple of months ago until they got enough water on it to hold it down and that was mid-winter. I think we took half of it home in the car.

What happens to the synthetic track if you have large amount of rain on it,trotting tracks are just slushy,and synthetic are?

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fair comment. Yesterday I was thinking to myself how I would summarize racing's ills in a sentance Run by a bunch of people who vastly over-rate their own ability, vastly over-rate their own

Thats always been my attitude.  Utter waste of time.  Very rarely if ever have I attended one nor their monthly dial in BS sessions. And as for a free beer and a sausage roll - well that is one of the

I think you are being a bit tough on Hoki there Michael (1) they did NOT accumulate that money through racing activities - it came from the sale of land up the hill behind the racecourse.  Land t

Posted Images

Ascot Park friday,8 races,mostly southern horses ,got a few cantabs,field size exactly same as what harness has been doing,this day use to be at Gore,why move it to invers,not everybody likes Ascot.but anyway its 3 weeks since Wingatui and after friday 3 more weeks,seems a big gap in the calandar

On 21/09/2020 at 10:58 PM, Invasion of Privacy said:

Ask any trotting trainer how hard it is to stop their tracks blowing away in Canterbury in summer.

Also does anyone know why Tapeta wasn’t considered instead of Poly, I won’t even ask about Strathayr as that’s too obvious for NZTR

I was told that it was because the Poly people were based in Australia and the Tapeta weren’t!

1 hour ago, Freda said:

Sounds reasonable.

I've worked for Michael and am sure he would have been happy to discuss the Tapeta option for here. Hopefully that was done in the due diligence on this.

Edited by curious

Overall Outlook On All Weather Racing

All Weather racing continues to thrive in the UK. We can only see more all weather courses being added over the next few years. Yes, tracks like Southwell and Wolverhampton may have some low-quality racing but overall with the success of the All Weather Championships and some top quality racing at Lingfield and Newcastle you have to say that all weather racing will only continue to grow.

It might not be to everyone’s tastes, but we will continue to see one or two all weather meetings daily and especially during the winter months. In terms of trading, sometimes you can get burnt out with so much racing – but isn’t it good to have a choice? You don’t have to trade every meeting; but having the option of all weather racing all year round is always nice to have.

• Like 1

On the Tapeta topic from the same article:

Polytrack is the most popular choice of surfaces for all weather tracks in the UK. Most trainers prefer Polytrack over everything else because it is the fairest surface for horses to race on. It’s a fast surface, with little jar and basically no kickback. Horses can enjoy their racing and because it quickly regains it’s shape after being racing on that means there’s less stress on tendons.

Tapeta is very similar to Polytrack. There’s almost no kickback and they say that it’s more versatile than Polytrack. It’s a very fair surface to race, and would be quite similar to Good on a turf track – as similar as all weather could be anyway!

2 minutes ago, curious said:

On the Tapeta topic from the same article:

Polytrack is the most popular choice of surfaces for all weather tracks in the UK. Most trainers prefer Polytrack over everything else because it is the fairest surface for horses to race on. It’s a fast surface, with little jar and basically no kickback. Horses can enjoy their racing and because it quickly regains it’s shape after being racing on that means there’s less stress on tendons.

Tapeta is very similar to Polytrack. There’s almost no kickback and they say that it’s more versatile than Polytrack. It’s a very fair surface to race, and would be quite similar to Good on a turf track – as similar as all weather could be anyway!

That's interesting, completely different to what the experts on here are saying!!

The same experts that have not ever seen a polytrack

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pitman said:

"Seeing" one doesn't add to one's expertise if you don't ask the right questions and have done the research.  Which seems to be what our illustrious leaders didnt do.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pitman said:

Overall Outlook On All Weather Racing

All Weather racing continues to thrive in the UK. We can only see more all weather courses being added over the next few years. Yes, tracks like Southwell and Wolverhampton may have some low-quality racing but overall with the success of the All Weather Championships and some top quality racing at Lingfield and Newcastle you have to say that all weather racing will only continue to grow.

It might not be to everyone’s tastes, but we will continue to see one or two all weather meetings daily and especially during the winter months. In terms of trading, sometimes you can get burnt out with so much racing – but isn’t it good to have a choice? You don’t have to trade every meeting; but having the option of all weather racing all year round is always nice to have.

Why has Racing Victoria said no more than two?  Probably because those who pay the revenue dont like to punt on them.  Oh and the higher maintenance costs.

• Like 2

The problem with this debate is it becomes binary or tribal.  Like most things at the moment.

Rational well researched debate looking at the complete range of variables goes out the window.

Where are the numbers, the revenue projections, the maintenance costs?  Seems to be a punt in the dark to me.

Plus decisions made by the same group that hasn't got one right in the last 20 years.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Pitman said:

That's interesting, completely different to what the experts on here are saying!!

I've seen and ridden on both. I'd be keen on either here if they were financially justifiable. Technology has no doubt improved but I'm skeptical about the kick back claims. That's not what is being reported from Oz. It is critical that the surface is appropriately adjusted and maintained for the climatic conditions of the installation.

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
2 hours ago, curious said:

I've seen and ridden on both. I'd be keen on either here if they were financially justifiable. Technology has no doubt improved but I'm skeptical about the kick back claims. That's not what is being reported from Oz. It is critical that the surface is appropriately adjusted and maintained for the climatic conditions of the installation.

Same here, I don't like them as a spectacle for racing but if it can be proven they work , will encouraging more punting , sustainable costs ,racing not at the expense of other venues(which appears to be already happening) better racing etc then I have nothing against them. 

But where apart from a couple of larger trainers espousing their virtues can one find such info in relation to NZ? 

2 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

"Seeing" one doesn't add to one's expertise if you don't ask the right questions and have done the research.  Which seems to be what our illustrious leaders didnt do.

Exactly, I've watched a few houses being built doesn't make me a builder or an expert.

6 hours ago, Huey said:

Same here, I don't like them as a spectacle for racing but if it can be proven they work , will encouraging more punting , sustainable costs ,racing not at the expense of other venues(which appears to be already happening) better racing etc then I have nothing against them. 

But where apart from a couple of larger trainers espousing their virtues can one find such info in relation to NZ? 

Agree but where the hell is the business case? Surely if a sound one were put in front of stakeholders, most would support them?

1 hour ago, curious said:

Agree but where the hell is the business case? Surely if a sound one were put in front of stakeholders, most would support them?

Yes it would be good to see, impossible to support without it.