Bit Of A Yarn

Distance no issue for Smokin’ Romans

• Journalists

Progressive stayer Smokin’ Romans (NZ) (Ghibellines) handled the step-up to 2500m with ease when winning the Travis Harrison Cup at The Valley on Saturday for trainers Ciaron Maher & David Eustace.

The four-year-old gelding, who sports the colours of New Zealander Don Frampton, looked the winner a long way out under Jamie Kah and cruised to fifth win of his career when defeating Tavirun (NZ) (Tavistock) and Prince Alby (Monaco Consul).

“Jamie had to make a decision before the race whether we were going forward or back and I just thought they might have slowed up,” Maher said after the winning rider elected to be prominent throughout.

“He’s very fit and well, he’s in good form. It was his first try out to 2500m, but he’s a pretty stoutly-bred, Kiwi-bred horse. For Don Frampton and the other owners it’s good to get a win.

The gelding was the final metro winner of the season for premiership winning hoop Jamie Kah, who had earlier partnered another Kiwi-bred in I’m Thunderstruck (NZ) (Shocking) to take her seasonal tally in Melbourne to 105.

“I wanted to be handy, but I didn’t want to do too much, but the race worked out beautifully,” Kah said.

“He’s an ideal horse to ride because you can stop and start him and he comes back to you and relaxes. He gave me a lovely ride.

“He’ll stay all day. His attitude, he’ll come back to you and go when you ask him to and these sort of races, even 3000m around The Valley will suit him.”

Smokin’ Romans made it back to back metropolitan victories in notching the fifth win of his 14-start career, which also features four placings.

Bred by Brian and Lorraine Anderton’s White Robe Lodge, the son of Ghibellines is out of the Anderton’s high-class staying mare Inferno (NZ) (Yamanin Vital) winner of ten races including the Gr.3 Canterbury Gold Cup (2000m) twice.

Frampton, who has raced Group One winners such as Booming (NZ) (Don Eduardo) and Trounced (NZ) (Just A Dancer) secured a share in the gelding following his sale to now disqualified trainer Darren Weir for $52,500 during the Book 1 sale at Karaka in 2018.

“He was a horse I took a liking to when I first saw him at Karaka,” Frampton said.

“I was a little bit late getting down to the sale and seeing him go through the ring but I followed up afterwards with Darren Weir who had bought him.

“I spoke with Darren and it turned out he had bought him as a spec horse so I said to him to give me twenty-four hours and I would get a group together to race him.

“We ended up getting sixty-five percent for a bunch of my friends who are all Kiwis.

“When Darren got into trouble, he was moved to Ciaron and David and we retained our share in him.”

With A$184,515 in prizemoney already banked, there look to be plenty of staying options for the lightly-tried galloper.

The post Distance no issue for Smokin’ Romans appeared first on BOAY Racing News.

View the full article