Jump to content
Bit Of A Yarn

Recommended Posts

His enthusiasm has probably diminished considerably and he is probably riding on the coat tails of the incredibly gifted Sweeney in the CD 😃  , but you'd have to agree it's got to be hardwork doing nzracing with any sort of genuine enthusiasm. 😉 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably late offering any constructive criticism towards Mr Lee. One aspect is the screaming near the finish excepting in some cases e.g. "dream burst into reality" but certainly Justin Evans needs to be pulled up. Please "less screaming more style". Will get a bit tiresome towards the end of the holidays.

  • Champ Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Centaur said:

Probably late offering any constructive criticism towards Mr Lee. One aspect is the screaming near the finish excepting in some cases e.g. "dream burst into reality" but certainly Justin Evans needs to be pulled up. Please "less screaming more style". Will get a bit tiresome towards the end of the holidays.

I find the present commentators rather robotic

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Centaur said:

Probably late offering any constructive criticism towards Mr Lee. One aspect is the screaming near the finish excepting in some cases e.g. "dream burst into reality" but certainly Justin Evans needs to be pulled up. Please "less screaming more style". Will get a bit tiresome towards the end of the holidays.

Agree. But that comes from Tony Lee, Justin was brought along at one point by Tony. He clearly is still trying to be like him and living in his shadow.

You never hear Matt Hill or in the past Greg Miles screaming at a finish

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our equivalent is Rick MacIntosh, someone must have told him to be witty and scream, Meg Ryan did it well, this goose sounds like a pre-pubescent on the Ghost train, and as for wit? Bert Bryant would have him on toast, Mark Mac was an absolute talent, he should have been given the keys to Chch, and Bernies salary to stay, trots, gallops, dogs, he could call a cockroach derby and make it cool.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Bill said:

Agree. But that comes from Tony Lee, Justin was brought along at one point by Tony. He clearly is still trying to be like him and living in his shadow.

You never hear Matt Hill or in the past Greg Miles screaming at a finish

Dave MacDonald is sadly missed. And the holiday period is never complete without Ian Chambers 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Our equivalent is Rick MacIntosh, someone must have told him to be witty and scream, Meg Ryan did it well, this goose sounds like a pre-pubescent on the Ghost train, and as for wit? Bert Bryant would have him on toast, Mark Mac was an absolute talent, he should have been given the keys to Chch, and Bernies salary to stay, trots, gallops, dogs, he could call a cockroach derby and make it cool.

Agree, Mark Mac was super.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ludwig said:

I like how he could put as much energy and enthusiasm into a maiden trot, as he did for the big races.

A bit off subject but I hope Reon Murtha is happy and well in his retirement.

Absolutely, another who didn't get the plaudits but was reliable and accurate was Alan Bright.....remember him?

  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Absolutely, another who didn't get the plaudits but was reliable and accurate was Alan Bright.....remember him?

I grew up in Palmy, so I remember Alan Bright. He lived very much in the shadow of Peter  Kelly, who was the one I based my childhood marble commentaries upon.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The greatest [IMO] of all time was the incredible Joe Brown, I've lived in Oz for nearly 50 years and when I got here Joe was acknowledged as the best, he was, Bill Collins [The accurate one] was emerging and Joe was in his twilight years, those of you old enough to remember his calls from across the ditch might recall the hairs on the back of your neck standing up and feeling for your tab tickets.

Race calling must be unforgiving, they can't undo a bad call, or going the early crow, however NZTR should have looked after their up and coming callers like Tom Wood and Jason Teaz, our young callers like Luke Marlow, Mitch Manners and Josh Fleming were nurtured [read I said nurtured NOT neutered] they have long successful careers ahead, fossils belong in the museums, not perched 20 metres above the ground opposite the winning post.

  • Like 1
  • Champ Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe Bloggs said:

The greatest [IMO] of all time was the incredible Joe Brown, I've lived in Oz for nearly 50 years and when I got here Joe was acknowledged as the best, he was, Bill Collins [The accurate one] was emerging and Joe was in his twilight years, those of you old enough to remember his calls from across the ditch might recall the hairs on the back of your neck standing up and feeling for your tab tickets.

Race calling must be unforgiving, they can't undo a bad call, or going the early crow, however NZTR should have looked after their up and coming callers like Tom Wood and Jason Teaz, our young callers like Luke Marlow, Mitch Manners and Josh Fleming were nurtured [read I said nurtured NOT neutered] they have long successful careers ahead, fossils belong in the museums, not perched 20 metres above the ground opposite the winning post.

I agree that new commentators like Messer's Teaz and Wood should have been looked after much better. Obviously with modern technology, the commentator is much more under the microscope than in the days of the legendary Bill Cherry , when there were no TV cameras to confirm his call.

On a different note, whenever I attend Oamaru racecourse, I never sit directly under the commentators box____at some point in the distant past the floor/ceiling gave way. I've never found out the details, but I like to think that maybe it was a primitive form of commentator disposal seat. Perhaps we could reactivate.?

 

  • Champ Post 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2021 at 8:46 PM, Joe Bloggs said:

You jest, one needs Specsavers, the other prozac.......

Commentary boxes are in a lot of cases poorly placed. Watching a race on TV you have the luxury of getting a very accurate view of the race. Give those guys a break if they get it wrong now and again. Soon as they make a mistake they get hammered but seldom do they get praise for a job that is not easy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tim Carter said:

Commentary boxes are in a lot of cases poorly placed. Watching a race on TV you have the luxury of getting a very accurate view of the race. Give those guys a break if they get it wrong now and again. Soon as they make a mistake they get hammered but seldom do they get praise for a job that is not easy. 

I agree in part Tim, however, they are well paid and accountable, or are they? It appears not, jocks get called out for a bad ride/s and in some cases get time for a bad ride, these two blokes are making too many mistakes and yet seem ambivalent.

 There are some young talented callers waiting for an opportunity, and as I'm an aged fella, I'm not being ageist when I say, we need younger callers coming through, by denying them we are costing the industry, at the very least these fellows should be job sharing, so those young callers aren't lost forever......Tony and George aren't anywhere good enough now, I stand by what I said, stand down and give a young un a go......and I'm older than both George and Tony.

  • Champ Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I agree in part Tim, however, they are well paid and accountable, or are they? It appears not, jocks get called out for a bad ride/s and in some cases get time for a bad ride, these two blokes are making too many mistakes and yet seem ambivalent.

 There are some young talented callers waiting for an opportunity, and as I'm an aged fella, I'm not being ageist when I say, we need younger callers coming through, by denying them we are costing the industry, at the very least these fellows should be job sharing, so those young callers aren't lost forever......Tony and George aren't anywhere good enough now, I stand by what I said, stand down and give a young un a go......and I'm older than both George and Tony.

 You are a bit harsh mate. Your opinion so be it. Jocks have bad rides and it cost Owners!  Relate that to Race callers making the odd mistake! I do not see the comparison. I do not like Justin Marshall's commentary when the All Blacks play so I hit the mute button. Maybe you could try that approach with George and Tony? Then just wait for the official result on screen,

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tim Carter said:

 You are a bit harsh mate. Your opinion so be it. Jocks have bad rides and it cost Owners!  Relate that to Race callers making the odd mistake! I do not see the comparison. I do not like Justin Marshall's commentary when the All Blacks play so I hit the mute button. Maybe you could try that approach with George and Tony? Then just wait for the official result on screen,

They tell me Justin has applied to NZTR for a commentators position Tim, by gee you're in trouble now.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...