Bit Of A Yarn

John Dunn

Newmarket

John Dunn is not my most favourite driver, one reason why is the fact that many horses he drives are well punted on, far shorter than they should be. No doubting his ability, he is a top class driver. 

i have been following a horse called Cast A Shadow. Has been going great races lately paying big money, last 2 starts driver gave it no show, frustrating as a punter. 
John Dunn driving today, only paying $10. Had to have a good go even though I thought odds a little skinny, it was a superb drive from start to finish by Dunn and it cruised home. 

1 hour ago, Newmarket said:

John Dunn is not my most favourite driver, one reason why is the fact that many horses he drives are well punted on, far shorter than they should be. No doubting his ability, he is a top class driver. 

i have been following a horse called Cast A Shadow. Has been going great races lately paying big money, last 2 starts driver gave it no show, frustrating as a punter. 
John Dunn driving today, only paying $10. Had to have a good go even though I thought odds a little skinny, it was a superb drive from start to finish by Dunn and it cruised home. 

I'll say it again John Dunn would be the best driver of trotters I have ever seen

2 hours ago, Unhinged said:

I'll say it again John Dunn would be the best driver of trotters I have ever seen

I think you're wrong with that . John drives mostly his own trained horses.

As a teen in Auckland , I witnessed Peter Wolfenden jump on anything that turned up , and get it to win or go close in the trots. Horses he didn't train so 'Decisively' Harder. Special Pride , Framalda, Thriller Dee , Scotch Tar and bucket loads more.

Same with Tony Herlihy winning Interdominions on Barry and Roys horses, and also Mr Anthony Butt on Tim Butts many trotters , Simon Katz ,etc

John a pretty distant 4th IMO. (until he drives other trainers)

Sundees Son certainly the 'single most Impressive' run ever seen in the last Dominion I admit. What was going on with Highgrove at Nelson though? might engage AGH to get it going ? just kidding.....

Are you referring to pacers and trotters or just trotters. The best driver of Trotters I beleive is Anthony Butt. Has outstanding record with some of NZs greatest trotters. Has them well balanced and lets them do their best themselves. Seldom beaten in a tight finnish. Also K ath Gath is very good on straight out trotters in Aus

8 hours ago, Gammalite said:

I think you're wrong with that . John drives mostly his own trained horses.

As a teen in Auckland , I witnessed Peter Wolfenden jump on anything that turned up , and get it to win or go close in the trots. Horses he didn't train so 'Decisively' Harder. Special Pride , Framalda, Thriller Dee , Scotch Tar and bucket loads more.

Same with Tony Herlihy winning Interdominions on Barry and Roys horses, and also Mr Anthony Butt on Tim Butts many trotters , Simon Katz ,etc

John a pretty distant 4th IMO. (until he drives other trainers)

Sundees Son certainly the 'single most Impressive' run ever seen in the last Dominion I admit. What was going on with Highgrove at Nelson though? might engage AGH to get it going ? just kidding.....

If you only looked at trotters driven by John outside of the stable last year he would have been third on the premiership table for trotters only. Currently driving in New Zealand is what I should have said, I think last seasons numbers speak for themselves,  359 drives ,88 wins and 73 placing,  outstanding. 

• Like 2

John really changed the way people drive now in this country, he goes hard from the 800 to the 400 and makes it more a staying contest. He is a fantastic front running driver, as well as he is good on the sit sprinters; but you will always be in the lap of the gods with them

25 minutes ago, Roman said:

John really changed the way people drive now in this country, he goes hard from the 800 to the 400 and makes it more a staying contest. He is a fantastic front running driver, as well as he is good on the sit sprinters; but you will always be in the lap of the gods with them

You only need to spend a morning at the beach and watch how they are trained to work out why they are so fit.The work ethic John has is unbelievable,  throw in the rest of the staff and you can see why they are so successful. 

• Like 1
  • Champ Post 1

54 minutes ago, Unhinged said:

You only need to spend a morning at the beach and watch how they are trained to work out why they are so fit.The work ethic John has is unbelievable,  throw in the rest of the staff and you can see why they are so successful. 

top bloke . fantastic horseman . great at training trotters can turn other horses around just got to look at how he has got old condom heads horse trotting lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Unhinged said:

Currently driving in New Zealand is what I should have said, I think last seasons numbers speak for themselves,  359 drives ,88 wins and 73 placing,  outstanding. 

Well ok , Wolfie has retired long ago,  but CURRENT DRIVERS such as  AGH (who has won stacks of Rowe Cups and Interdominion trots)  and drove a TROTTING winner about 1 in every 3 drives past year . outstanding .!!

Johns figures show one win every 4 drives on Trotters from your figures.  not as good AGH sadly. % way less.

And Anthony Butt has left the country but no doubt you appreciate the wins of Lyell Creek , Take a Moment and a gazillion others, etc . Williamsons may be ahead of John on percentage lol ? 

John looking good on Sundees Son. Any of them could drive the best staying trotter ever though. 

hows 'Bryan Boru' doing? ? send him to Tony or Williamsons or Ants ? might get a win then. just kidding............

2 hours ago, Gammalite said:

Well ok , Wolfie has retired long ago,  but CURRENT DRIVERS such as  AGH (who has won stacks of Rowe Cups and Interdominion trots)  and drove a TROTTING winner about 1 in every 3 drives past year . outstanding .!!

Johns figures show one win every 4 drives on Trotters from your figures.  not as good AGH sadly. % way less.

And Anthony Butt has left the country but no doubt you appreciate the wins of Lyell Creek , Take a Moment and a gazillion others, etc . Williamsons may be ahead of John on percentage lol ? 

John looking good on Sundees Son. Any of them could drive the best staying trotter ever though. 

hows 'Bryan Boru' doing? ? send him to Tony or Williamsons or Ants ? might get a win then. just kidding............

Bryan unfortunately is just lazy, has ability but is a one pacer

7 hours ago, Roman said:

Roman, he got that from Dexter, who I think was the first driver to use the go hard from the 800 to the 400 and take the sting out of the opposition. 

• Like 1

Bryan unfortunately is just lazy, has ability but is a one pacer

Yes , I guess being by Bettor's Delight it's a miracle he (Bryan Boru) even trots at any speed at all.

Therefore I should be giving the Dunn's credit for training /driving him too trot. ?

Interesting to note Tony has DOUBLE DELIGHT (jewels winner) trotting in half hopples and 3 wins from 3 .

and she is by CaptainTreacherous. another sire of pacers > >>

Tony and John equally amazing trainer/drivers...... not many can do what they do..... 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...