Jump to content
Bit Of A Yarn

Drumroll Please - the numbers are in.......


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had quite a debate earlier this week about who contributed more(based on their distributions ex NZTR) to the industry coffers Well well well Saturday Kumara total turnover $2.115m a splendid 1

Don't be an utter dick.  Are you trying to suggest I have something to hide?  Total $1.184m(versus Ellerslie's $1.893m on a weekend Reefton oncourse (including phone betting) 90.3K versus Ellersl

Don't know whether we deserve congratulations JB but we have it a lot easier row to hoe that say a country club running late Autumn or early winter.  Reefton in mid summer at 30 degrees on a good 3 is

2 minutes ago, nomates said:

Got my first share in a horse from a punt on a double on cup day , Cubacade won the cup Raywood Lass won the Gearge Adams , 19yrs old , won about $450 , was earning about $70 a week , it was a great trip back on the train to Wellington then out to Porirua .

Do you remember Noir Filou and Fair Law winning the legs of the DD? Thats what kicked me off, you were too young probably, 1966/7 I can't remember when.......back home to Titahi Bay........fish and chips from Porirua and a taxi home......

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Geez, Otaki has lot it's allure/mojo........when I lived there instead of 'dating' the Hotwire  we all went down to Kere's restaurant for a fish and chip feed.....and kicked on at the Jube playing pool,......now that was living.....

Otaki has a special place in my heart , my college mate's family had a bach at the beach so i always got invited up when the races were on , my horses always went well there , got one home at $55's and we were confident to , a bit of a cheat but his work leading up to the race had been great , so we did alright , got 5k for the race , we got 8k between the 3 of us that owned him . 

Our best mate , a mad irish girl with too much money got just as much , i told her put plenty on for a place with some onto win , not her , $50/$20 was her go and the tri .

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Do you remember Noir Filou and Fair Law winning the legs of the DD? Thats what kicked me off, you were too young probably, 1966/7 I can't remember when.......back home to Titahi Bay........fish and chips from Porirua and a taxi home......

Yea i was still in Scotland then , moved to Titahi Bay in '72 aged 11 , we must talk , do you mind if i PM you .

  • Champ Post 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

Have you adjusted that increase to factor in the extra race this year?  9 last year - 10 this year.

Reefton turnover +23% per starter. Ellerslie -2.45%. Says it all really. In any other business, where would you be deploying your assets?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Reefton said:

We had quite a debate earlier this week about who contributed more(based on their distributions ex NZTR) to the industry coffers

Well well well Saturday Kumara total turnover $2.115m a splendid 16.31% increase on 2021 and only just behind Awapuni's feature day as the top weekend turnover performer

ARC Sunday total $1.893m an increase of 6.65% versus 2021

But the gong for the highest increase of the week goes to ..........(where's that effing drum  roll?)

The Reefton Jockey Club no less with an increase of 23.06% year on year

I always knew I was the best!(not to mention the most modest

On course is a little sad for you big city fans as well - for the eight meetings during the week three of the top four turnover were where?(you guessed it!) - the Coast!

I shall leave BOAYers to draw their own conclusions shall I?????

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is interesting. If this was a war zone and the racing industry was on retreat they would try and consolidate their position where they were safest. If it was an industry under real pressure (wait a minute, it is) they would consolidate around their most profitable segments. From the figures above it does sound like the answer each time would be the SI.

Strangely enough, in this instance the answer seem to be to spend most the resources on top end management rather than workers, and to spend the last few million dollars on the worst performing assets. 

Anyway you think about it, we do seem to be doing exactly the opposite to what any normal industry would do in similar circumstances.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Doomed said:

It is interesting. If this was a war zone and the racing industry was on retreat they would try and consolidate their position where they were safest. If it was an industry under real pressure (wait a minute, it is) they would consolidate around their most profitable segments. From the figures above it does sound like the answer each time would be the SI.

Strangely enough, in this instance the answer seem to be to spend most the resources on top end management rather than workers, and to spend the last few million dollars on the worst performing assets. 

Anyway you think about it, we do seem to be doing exactly the opposite to what any normal industry would do in similar circumstances.

Very true , but the fools running the industry have their eyes on a cash injection from sale of profitable assets. That is really all they have that is their plan fall back or not that's the plan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nomates said:

I might be being parochial , but the 3 days of the Wgtn cup meeting for mine was the best meeting , i'm talking 70's and 80's , when Trentham was choka and the crowd rose as one when the horses hit the 250 mtrs there was nothing to beat it .

I well remember when my dad took me to my first cup day as a 14yo , on the rail by the birdcage as Blue Blood, Mop and Panagor flashed across the line in the Telegraph is something that will stay with me till my dying day , the noise , no one knew who had won  , absolutely electric . The only way i get that buzz now is going outside and touching the hotwire on the fence .

As yourself my first encounter with Trentham was as a 14 yr old 1963 when Great Sensation won its third. Arrived with horse in tow for yearling sales just before the race. At the time I believed the crowd reacted that way for every race. The big trick for Wellington Cups was finding an unobstructed viewing spot.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Huey said:

Very true , but the fools running the industry have their eyes on a cash injection from sale of profitable assets. That is really all they have that is their plan fall back or not that's the plan.

The most interesting thing going on at the moment is the sale of Forbury Park, which will set a massive precedent for the industry. Just think, it is about to be sold for $20-$30m, something like that, and no one has the faintest idea what will happen to the money or who it belongs to. To silly for words really. Heaven help us if the money ends up at head office. They will be unstoppable then and the fire sale will start.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, curious said:

Reefton turnover +23% per starter. Ellerslie -2.45%. Says it all really. In any other business, where would you be deploying your assets?

I assume you are being sarcastic? 

I doubt Reefton could sustain those increases beyond 3 race meetings let alone sustain anymore racing on their track.

Given that there are sunk costs and the realisation of fixed assets is not a quick process nor is the reinvestment of the eventual liquid assets into generating racing a quick process other questions should be asked.

For example why was the Ellerslie figure down?  Programming? Scheduling?  Quality of the fields?  You could hardly say that the quality of the fields at Reefton was considerably greater than Ellerslie.

What IS clearly evident is that it isn't the location that drives revenue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

I assume you are being sarcastic? 

I doubt Reefton could sustain those increases beyond 3 race meetings let alone sustain anymore racing on their track.

Given that there are sunk costs and the realisation of fixed assets is not a quick process nor is the reinvestment of the eventual liquid assets into generating racing a quick process other questions should be asked.

For example why was the Ellerslie figure down?  Programming? Scheduling?  Quality of the fields?  You could hardly say that the quality of the fields at Reefton was considerably greater than Ellerslie.

What IS clearly evident is that it isn't the location that drives revenue.

It's not the quality of the fields either. It's the competitiveness of them that makes them attractive to punters and on decent fair tracks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Chief Stipe said:

Why?  If the Sth Island is generating a greater share of revenue why is it doing so?

The metrics being touted above are flawed.

How so?

They are the facts and there are similar figures for yonks even though the above is a one week example.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, curious said:

It's not the quality of the fields either. It's the competitiveness of them that makes them attractive to punters and on decent fair tracks.

You're kidding me?  Are you saying that Kumara had more competitive fields and a fairer track on the Saturday than Ellerslie had on the Sunday? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

 

For example why was the Ellerslie figure down?  Programming? Scheduling?  Quality of the fields?  You could hardly say that the quality of the fields at Reefton was considerably greater than Ellerslie.

What IS clearly evident is that it isn't the location that drives revenue.

Interestingly, it is also evident that the quality of the fields is having little impact. These figures do tend to argue against the prevailing philosophy that the industry needs to pick a few key tracks and pour most of the stakes money into those tracks. It seems there is very little upside to these high staked races which are funded by stripping money and resources out of numerous smaller tracks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doomed said:

Interestingly, it is also evident that the quality of the fields is having little impact. These figures do tend to argue against the prevailing philosophy that the industry needs to pick a few key tracks and pour most of the stakes money into those tracks. It seems there is very little upside to these high staked races which are funded by stripping money and resources out of numerous smaller tracks.

I've often wondered why Westport Trotting club is not paying some of the biggest stakes for the whole calandar, their turnover on boxing day is one of the biggest days of harness for the season, turnover wise, money must be being directed elsewhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, curious said:

Yep.

As did the other Coast meetings.  The tracks were presented beautifully and the racing was grand.   The weather gods did help, obviously - but, along with Kurow and Cromwell, the holiday racing down south has been very good indeed.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Doomed said:

Interestingly, it is also evident that the quality of the fields is having little impact. These figures do tend to argue against the prevailing philosophy that the industry needs to pick a few key tracks and pour most of the stakes money into those tracks. It seems there is very little upside to these high staked races which are funded by stripping money and resources out of numerous smaller tracks.

So what are the key metrics that relate to high punter turnover?

If Ellerslie had raced on Saturday and Kumara on Sunday would the outcome have been different?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 hours ago, Chief Stipe said:

So what are the key metrics that relate to high punter turnover?

If Ellerslie had raced on Saturday and Kumara on Sunday would the outcome have been different?

It's hard to metricise but global data would tell that competitive racing, i.e. good handicapping and programming systems and well prepared fair tracks are key. Clubs can't do much more than sort the latter. Don't think the day of the week would have made any difference to the above. Let's not revert to Purcell's Monday/Tuesday racing solution for heaven's sake.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The gallops gave up on Sundays in order to push their Monday, Tuesday theory. Then, when that didn't work, they gave up those meetings altogether. Sundays were originally introduced to allow people to attend the races, given that a lot of people worked or had other activities on Saturdays. Now of course the gallops have given up on on course attendances and are quite happy to see crowds the size of Trentham yesterday. 

Sadly the gallops in NZ have seen a lot of experimentation and a string of virtually incompetent managers who keep saying 'Hey, why don't we try this?". Followed by "Bugger, well that one didn't work, but I have another idea we could try."

I suppose to give the CJC some credit, they don't really try anything new, so you can't really blame them for reckless adventurism.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements




×
×
  • Create New...