Bit Of A Yarn

Star Galleria resumes

• Journalists

By Joshua Smith, Harness News Desk

Pukekohe trainers Steven Reid and Simon McMullen had a virus hit a couple of their runners recently, but they have since recuperated and will resume at Alexandra Park on Friday night.

Open-class pacer Star Galleria was one of the team who contracted the bug after his pleasing second-up third-placing behind quality pacer Copy That last month.

“I was so happy with his third-placing,” Reid said. “He didn’t go bad in his very first start, but he ran last. They got home in 54 off the front, so it wasn’t terrible. He just didn’t pace that well.

“When he ran third he paced so much better and I think he hit the line really well. I was really happy with the run.

“I came off that thinking we are definitely on the go forward plan for the Cup, but then we ran into that little hiccup a couple of weeks ago where he had a bit of a temperature and we had to scratch him, but he has recovered from it fine.”

The son of Art Major will start from the back mark of 35m and Reid believes he will be much better for his run on Friday.

“He is going to improve with the run and the 35m behind is probably going to be a bit of a mountain for him to climb,” he said.

“From a betting point of view he will probably be better following come Spring Cup time a week later.”

Reid is still planning on campaigning Star Galleria in the south this spring, but he said the Gr.1 New Zealand Trotting Cup (3200m) may not be their major target.

“He is now seven-years-old and he has had a few niggly issues over the last two or three years,” Reid said.

“We don’t have to go to the Cup, we may just go to the Junior Free-For-All and then the Free-For-All on the Friday.”

Reid also encountered similar issues with Mr Fantastic after his first-up win last month.

“I was really happy with him (when winning first-up), but once again it has been three weeks between races. He also had a bug, which is why he was scratched last start.”

Reid believes his charge will be competitive from his ace draw in the Auckland Co-op Taxis 300-3000 Mobile Pace (2200m), but said he will also improve with the run.

“He has come through it well and trialled very impressively last Friday, so he is on target,” Reid said.

“He has got Harness Millions next week, so I think he will be better for the run. I am expecting him to go very close to winning, but I think he will strip a better horse on the 25th.”

Stablemate Commander Cathy will complete Reid’s racing team on Friday night and he is expecting a good showing from the filly in the Pascoes The Jewellers F&M Mobile Pace (2200m).

“Commander Cathy has been unlucky,” Reid said. “I have been happy with all three runs, but she can’t get a draw and once again we have drawn the second line (10), so luck is going to play a factor.

“But if she has luck I would be very disappointed if she didn’t finish in the top three.”

The post Star Galleria resumes appeared first on BOAY Racing News.

View the full article