Bit Of A Yarn

Rookie Pablo’s Meadows test

• Journalists
formguideButton-11-500x100.jpg

After celebrating the biggest win of his training career on Pink Diamond night, young Anakie trainer Jack Campbell is hopeful promising stayer Aston Pablo can continue his rise through the ranks in Premier Racing at The Meadows on Saturday night.

Aston Pablo claimed the Listed Pink Diamond Rookie Distance title at Ballarat last Friday, and the lightly-raced prospect will face another test of his staying mettle in the Great 8 Series Special Event (730m).

Chasing his first city success, the son of dual country cups winner Aston Kimetto, owned and bred by Ray Borda, is $10 with TAB from Box 1.

Another ‘Aston’, Michelle Mallia’s Aston Velvet (Box 2), the Pink Diamond Champion Distance winner, is $2.25 favourite, with Jeff Britton’s seasoned Group campaigner Hank The Hustler (Box 8) $3.

Click HERE  for latest TAB prices

“I class him as an old school stayer,” said 31-year-old Campbell.

“Stayers have evolved these days to have good first and second splits and okay run home times, but Aston Pablo lacks the first two splits, and his run homes are sensational.

“I think the 730m will suit him and against this class of dog, I’m hoping he can stay in touch in the first half of the race, put himself in contention and run home strongly.”

“He struts around here with his chest puffed out like Dermie Brereton!”

Campbell combined with father, Glenn, to win the Listed Australian Sprint at Sandown in 2014 with Speed Series; however, Aston Pablo’s strong-finishing Pink Diamond Rookie Distance success was his most significant in his own right.

“I did think he was the best dog in the field,” Campbell said.

“People were talking about the prizemoney, but I just wanted to see him win because he was the best dog in the race.

“Four or five weeks ago, Dale Code (form expert) picked him as a dog to follow and described him as a true stayer.

READ MORE HERE

WATCH: ASTON PABLO (3) stamped himself a stayer of the future when wearing down leader SALLY INTENTION (2) to win the Pink Diamond Rookie Distance final (660m) at Ballarat last Friday night.

“He was thrown in the deep end in the Sandown Cup series, but his time for fourth in his heat behind Untapped was the same as Rohan Bale ran to be a reserve for the final.

“He showed he can compete at that level and it’s not the deepest pool of stayers we’ve ever had.”

Campbell revealed Aston Pablo’s attitude certainly won’t hold him back from competing in elite company.

“He has a massive ego!” Campbell laughed.

“He struts around here with his chest puffed out like Dermie Brereton!

“He knows he’s good but at the same time he’s a lovely dog.”

formguideButton-11.jpg
Aston-Pablo-Pink-Diamond-Ballarat-1024x6

Aston Pablo looks destined for bigger things after his Pink Diamond Rookie Distance victory.

Premier-Racing-Banner-3-1024x213-2.jpg

View the full article