Bit Of A Yarn

Report: Hearing Officer in Medina Spirit Derby DQ Case Recuses Himself

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists

Clay Patrick, the hearing officer assigned to the Bob Baffert-Medina Spirit Derby disqualification case, has recused himself three weeks after the appeal was heard, according to Paulick Report.

Amr Zedan's attorney Clark Brewster unknowingly bought a horse at the Keeneland September Yearling Sale that was co-owned by Patrick, who operates the family-owned Ramspring Farm.

Patrick was expected to make a recommendation on the appeal to the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission within 60 to 90 days.

“After I bought the colt, I noticed how young the mare is and looked to see who owned her,” Brewster told Paulick Report. “When I saw that she had been bought by Ramspring Farm and Milam Farm, I asked Mark Taylor who that was.”

Brewster added that a new hearing officer would be appointed and either conduct another hearing or possibly use the transcripts from the first appeal.

avw.php?zoneid=45&cb=67700179&n=af62659d

The post Report: Hearing Officer in Medina Spirit Derby DQ Case Recuses Himself appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

View the full article