Bit Of A Yarn

Douglas: Giga Kick can challenge big guns in Everest

• Journalists
breednet-images-giga-kick_craig-williamsGiga Kick pings away to win the Vain Stakes.Giga Kick edges out Alpha One in the Vain Stakes at Caulfield on August 13. Picture: Grant Courtney.

He might be a $26 winning chance with Ladbrokes, but Giga Kick will continue his rapid improvement trend in next Saturday’s Everest.

That is the opinion of the three-year-old’s trainer Clayton Douglas ahead of the world’s richest race on turf at Randwick.

Despite the fact the field will be full of superstars, Douglas has every reason to be confident in his developing gelding.

The Mornington-based Giga Kick is unbeaten from his four career starts, including last start when he saluted in the Group 2 Danehill Stakes at Flemington on Saturday.

“He’s an exciting horse. He’s unbeaten from four starts and it’s been an unbelievable ride to get here,” Douglas told Sky Racing.

“Every time I’ve asked him to do something he’s just been able to step up to the mark.

“I still feel there’s nice improvement from Saturday’s win.”

Giga Kick is yet to start in a Group 1 feature ahead of next Saturday’s $15 million sprint over 1200m.

So when asked how good Giga Kick can be, Douglas admitted he was still unsure.

But he assured punters his star short-distance horse can match it with superstars such as Nature Strip, Eduardo, Lost And Running, Jacquinot, Masked Crusader and Mazu.

“It’s hard to know, really (how good Giga Kick can be),” Douglas said.

“He’s such an exciting horse. He’s done everything right until this point, and he’s such a professional.

“Everything he does he’s got the right attitude and right demeanour to cope with everything.

“And three-year-olds do have a really good record in that race.

“It’s an unbelievable race and we’re under no illusions, but he’s shown that he’s up to that quality.

“And the horse seems to have come through Saturday’s run really well.”

Douglas said Giga Kick already had the maturity to mount a late charge after being ridden quietly.

“He’s one of those horses who is just so professional. He’s done things that other horses don’t do,” he said.

“It’s been well noted that even when we’ve ridden him quiet, he’s been able to chase off the speed and able to lead.

“He’s a very versatile horse. So I think that puts him in really good stead.

“And I think that’s probably the key to the horse, the fact that he’s such a professional for such a young horse.

“I just think he’s going to get everything right and give himself every opportunity to be running very well.”

Douglas also feels his sprinter can handle heavy conditions if Sydney’s wet weather continues leading up to next Saturday.

“We’ve had a pretty wet time down here as well. He’s had to work on some pretty heavy ground down here in Melbourne,” he said.

“He’s worked well and he really travels through the bridle. He’s won on a Soft 7 down the straight running a really good time on a rain-affected track.

“We feel like he’s just a versatile horse that he’ll cope with that pretty well, especially with the light weight as well.”

Douglas is delighted that star Melbourne jockey Craig Williams is so eager to ride Giga Kick in the Everest, bypassing a top Caulfield Cup ride.

“He’s the one who’s been on his back,” Douglas said.

“And he said after the Vain win (on August 13) for a horse to get back off such a slow speed and really accelerate the way he did, it gave him a lot of confidence in his ability to be able to do that.

“And also, Craig has really given me confidence with this horse to suggest that we are going to be a nice chance in the Everest with the light weight.

“It is Caulfield Cup Day and he is one of Melbourne’s leading riders. No doubt he would’ve had one of the plum rides in the Caulfield Cup, but he’s happy to stick with him and ride him in the Everest.

“That gives us a lot of confidence as well.”

More horse racing news

View the full article