Bit Of A Yarn

Tavi defies pedigree in maiden win

• Journalists

Tavistock filly Pretty Tavi (NZ) belied her pedigree by comprehensively leading throughout to win her 1200-metre Mornington three-year-old fillies’ maiden by 4.5 lengths on Thursday.

The Anthony and Sam Freedman-trained Pretty Tavi ($5) burst from the inside barrier and provided rider Jamie Kah with little concern around the tight-turning circuit.

“She was very professional today and well-educated and made my job pretty easy,” Kah said.

“Sam (Freedman) said for a Tavistock she’s quite fast out of the gate and she’s got a good turn of foot.

“She wasn’t fierce (in the lead), she was just quick. She puts herself there and once she got there, she relaxed beautifully, so I can’t see why she can’t get over a bit further.”

Pretty Tavi won an 800-metre Cambridge Synthetic trial on June 14 for trainer Roger Lang before joining the Freedmans with owner and breeder Tim Harrison retaining a stake. The filly was identified by Andrew Williams and Brad Taylor (Racing Manager for Freedman Racing).

“I think it was a good performance because she’s still quite green, she’s having her first start in a race, so she can only improve off that,” Kah said.

“She’s having a good blow after the race, so it’s looking good for the future.”

Pretty Tavi is by Tavistock, who died in December 2019, with the late stallion producing Group 1 winners beyond 1600m such as Tavago (NZ), Tarzino (NZ), Johnny Get Angry (NZ), Volkstok’n’barrell (NZ), Werther (NZ) and Toffee Tongue (NZ).

View the full article