Bit Of A Yarn

Talent far from hidden with talented filly

• Journalists

By Joshua Smith, Harness News Desk

Hidden Talent’s abilities are far from unknown as she prepares for her first tilt at elite level at Addington Raceway on Friday.

The Bacardi Lindy filly has won all four of her starts to date, including the Group 3 Sires’ Stakes Classique Mobile Trot (1980m) at the Christchurch track in September.

She will return to Addington on Friday where she will contest the Group 1 ‘What The Hill’ At Woodlands NZ Trotting Oaks (1980m).

“I am pretty excited and hopefully she runs a good race,” trainer-driver Nathan Williamson said.

“She has passed every test so far. This will be her biggest test and we are going in hopeful rather than super confident.

“She has had a win on the course before. I am sure she is going to be up to most of them, it’s just what sort of run we can get from our draw (3) and hopefully things work out.

“It will be interesting to see how she goes against the very top ones.

“She is fit and well, and she will run a good race.”

Williamson has welcomed the Trotting Oaks status being elevated to Group One level.

“I think it is a great thing,” he said. “It is a really positive move from Harness Racing New Zealand to give some of these trotting fillies and mares races Group status and upgrading the Oaks to a Group One is really good.

“It is a very strong field and it has been well supported, so hopefully things can keep building.”

A date with the spelling paddock is imminent for Hidden Talent, however, Williamson hasn’t ruled out a crack at the Trotting Derby next week.

“The Derby is the next week but at this stage she is unlikely to go to that, but we will see how she comes through this week,” Williamson said.

“She will be going for a big break after either the Oaks or the Derby.”

Williamson will take two other runners to Addington on Friday, including Get Up N Dance in the Happy Birthday Lyndal McMeeking Mobile Pace (2600m) and Sand Wave in the Ian Dobson 3TO (C&G) Classic Mobile Pace (1980m)

“Get Up N Dance ran on pretty well at Timaru. He got back and it is hard to make ground there,” Williamson said.

“I would like to think he has come on from that run, so he is a definite each way chance.

“Sand Wave is in a good field, but I don’t think he is too far away from them. It will be interesting to see how he fares. I am sure he will go well.”

Williamson is also looking forward to doing the steering behind Lauries Legacy in the Group 2 Continental Event Hire Trotting Mares Handicap Trot (2600m) for his brother Brad.

“I thought it was a good run last start. I think if she can bring her manners, jump away and lead, she will give them something to catch,” Williamson said.

“She is a very talented mare on her day, she just needs to bring her manners. She has been trotting along more solidly lately so I give her an each way chance in that race.”

Williamson will also jump in the cart behind Treacherous Gall in the Happy Bithday Cherie & Tamara Jackson Mobile Pace (1980m) and Fernleigh Blackbird in the ‘Hilarious Guest’ 3YO Fillies Classic (1980m) for trainer Regan Todd.

“Treacherous Gall is an extremely talented two-year-old filly but is taking on older mares,” Williamson said.

“She had to be thrown in the deep end as there were no other races for her this week. She is a good filly so I am sure she will acquit herself well.

“Fernleigh Blackbird has been racing really well. She has drawn well enough (6) and will be at least a place hope.”

View the full article