Bit Of A Yarn

Wallace keen on patient approach

• Journalists

Trainer Jim Wallace was delighted with how his Gr.1 Al Basti Equiworld Dubai New Zealand Oaks (2400m) winner Pennyweka (NZ) (Satono Aladdin) came through her exertions, but was leaning towards playing the long-game with the daughter of Satono Aladdin on Sunday.

An arrogant three-length winner of the Oaks, Pennyweka relished the strongly run staying contest, with rider Ryan Elliot able to pose for the photo as he crossed the line.

“She has pulled up very well, she cleaned up last night and she is nice and bright this morning,” Wallace said.  

“She is a little bit tired but is walking freely and looks good.”

Wallace has yet to ponder what comes next and will discuss the options with his brother Les, whom he co-bred and races the filly with, along with more than 70 other smaller share-holders.

“I think she has a lot of physical improvement to do yet. My gut feeling is we should give her a break and think about somewhere down the track but those decisions won’t be made until we get together and have a chat about it,” Wallace said.

Trainer Jim Wallace with jockey Ryan Elliot after they combined for Group One success with Pennyweka
Photo: Race Images – Peter Rubery

The Masterton horseman said the decision to bypass a trip south to Riccarton for the Gr.1 New Zealand 1000 Guineas (1600m) in November had paid dividends and he was pleased to see Pennyweka proving her class over a staying trip.

“She won very comfortably yesterday and she wouldn’t have blown a match out pulling up,” he said.

“She is a dead-set superior stayer with a nice turn of foot and I think if we handle her properly maybe November in 12 months’ time, she might make a lovely Melbourne Cup (Gr.1, 3200m) horse.

“If we went on with her now we might win another race or two but I think at the end of the day it will eventually catch up with her. If everybody is patient we could be extremely well rewarded if we let her fully grow into herself.”

View the full article