NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

‘Jack’ Up in Time in the Lexington

• Journalists

MY BOY JACK (c, 3, Creative Cause–Gold N Shaft, by Mineshaft) overcame a wide draw and closed relentlessly in the stretch to just get up and take the GIII Stonestreet Lexington S. at Keeneland, locking up his spot in the GI Kentucky Derby starting gate. Breaking his maiden in the Zuma Beach S. over turf last fall at Santa Anita, the dark bay was seventh in the GI Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf and third in the GIII Sham S. in his dirt debut Jan. 6. Breaking through with a runaway score in the GIII Southwest S. Feb. 19 at Oaklawn, the dark bay was third, beaten less than a length, last out in the GII Lousiana Derby Mar. 24. Made the 3-2 favorite from the widest-out 10-post in this spot, My Boy Jack took up his usual place well off the speed and traveled ninth behind frontrunning Greyvitos (Malibu Moon) through splits of :23.28 and :47.11. Revving up four deep on the top of the far turn, the favorite surged into contention at the top of the lane, where he met ‘TDN Rising Star’ Telekinesis (Ghostzapper), who had snuck up the rail to overtake the tiring pacesetter. Those two threw down in the last furlong and it appeared as though the ground loss would just do My Boy Jack in, but he kept on coming to just nail his foe by a nose on the wire in 1:44.22. Sales History: $20,000 Ylg ’16 KEESEP. Lifetime Record: 10-3-3-2, $645,145. O-Don’t Tell My Wife Stables & Monomoy Stables; B-Brereton C. Jones (KY); T-J. Keith Desormeaux.

View the full article