NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Dubawi’s Soliloquy Impresses In the Nell Gwyn

• Journalists

Godolphin already have a live 1000 Guineas contender in TDN Rising Star Wild Illusion (GB) (Dubawi {Ire}), but they now have another by that remarkable sire in Soliloquy (GB) who belied inexperience to make all under William Buick in Wednesday’s G3 Lanwades Stud Nell Gwyn S. at Newmarket. Sent off the 4-1 joint-second favourite with positive vibes emanating from the town, the bay homebred was a touch free initially in a slender lead. Pressed by the other joint-second favourite Altyn Orda (Ire) (Kyllachy {GB}) running down into the “dip”, the mile Ascot novice stakes winner pulled away to score comfortably by 1 3/4 lengths, with a neck back to Eirene (GB) (Declaration of War) in third. Charlie Appleby, who worked last year’s G1 Prix Marcel Boussac heroine Wild Illusion before racing, is likely to head into the May 6 mile Classic double-handed now. “I was confident after I watched Wild Illusion at lunchtime, as they had been doing some nice work together,” he explained. “Physically, she has done well from two to three and is a smart filly. She’s not in the [1000] Guineas, but obviously I’ll speak to Sheikh Mohammed and I see no reason why not to supplement her. She has only really come in the last three to four weeks, but has really turned the corner. I had thought originally that going further than a mile would suit, but since the early spring she has got stronger and showed plenty of speed there. She could go the Guineas route first and work from there.” Jockey William Buick added, “That was a nice performance. She had been pleasing Charlie and everyone at home since early in the year and she couldn’t have done much more. She was going at her own pace and handled the track well.”

SOLILOQUY (GB), f, 3, Dubawi (Ire)–Dysphonia (Aus) (MSW & G1SP-Aus, $446,493), by Lonhro (Aus).
O/B-Godolphin (GB); T-Charlie Appleby; J-William Buick. £34,026. Lifetime Record: 3-2-1-0, £41,843. Click for the Racing Post result or the free Equineline.com catalogue-style pedigree. Video, sponsored by Fasig-Tipton.

View the full article