NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Is Josh aggressive enough on Telfer runners?

Walt

We all know Josh Dickie is a very good driver. I'm not questioning that.

The Telfer stable have an excellent strike rate but you can't help but notice Josh gets beaten a lot on hot favs from that stable. Tim Williams on the other hand has an impressive strike rate when the money is on a Telfer runner. He has a don't argue style that routinely results in a win.

I noticed two Telfer runners last night at Cambridge that both looked good things.

The first was Twista who was paying around $1.70 when I looked. She's been running against good fields. I copped her at Nelson in January. Her work rate and ability to still be there at the finish got my attention. Last night she sat back while the stablemate led. Didn't attempt to take the parked out spot. Ran home nicely for second. Finished faster than anything in the race. Connections would be very happy with the outcome. Not so sure about punters.

In the last race Aardi B Miki looked extremely hard to beat after here fine second in the Southern Oaks Final.

Matty White wanted the top from the pole. Josh wanted it to but as usual was the first to relent. From that moment on he had a 0% chance of beating The Mighty Sully who had complete control of the race. To my eye Josh settles for second much easier than Tim Williams.

I don't mean to be unfair to Josh, just sharing my observations. 

Been driving terrible on the telfer runners. Beaten on three or four red hot 1.40 shots the last few months. Looked like the stable money was on the stablemate in the Twista race.

There were some dodgy drives all night. David Butcher on Irish Whisper only going 1:58 mile rate and letting the others into the race was not a great drive I thought. Another second or two faster in front and wins easily but let the others back into the race.

• Like 2

Yes there is a lot of 'quiet' drives by the young fella. You have to remember Dickie is probably driving to 'Instruction' a lot of the time (like gallops trainers do with their jocks) , as Joshua not training them himself, so a plan is 'probably' made to suit him and the other stable runners working to each others benefit , as often happens with multiple Telfer runners in a race.

You can beat the BIG stables in feature races if you drive aggressively enough. Very Impressed last week with old mate David Butcher winning the Group 1 Cardigan Bay 2 year old with Cyclone Jordy (for a trainer I've never even heard of) , by getting him right in the picture and defying the current Barry Purdon/ Dean Shannon onslaught of winners. good on em ! 

Nathan Williamson has a chance tonight to stamp a BIG name for himself if he takes out the features by getting involved with DREAMS ARE FREE in the Sires Stakes G1 Final and CAPTAINS MISTRESS in the G2 70k  2yearold Fillies Bracelet feature race. 

Nathan reminds me of Josh driving a lot of the time , so lets hope he cuts loose tonight at Addington and wins at least one of those 2 races with some 'enterprising' driving 😁🏆💰   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spatchcock said:

Poster #1 - Twista is a gelding.

Poster #2 - How can we take you seriously if you've never heard of Tate Hopkins? He has trained 90 winners over 10 years.

You are right about Twista being a gelding. My bad.

Re Tate. I don't think he's trained many of those on his own account. He's being under Frank's wing for some time.

That aside, your input is to ignore the house but instead focus on the letterbox colour. Is that your thing? Ignore the content apart from attempting to discredit it via reasonably obscure aspects.  Nowornever's comments on Josh are correct. They have been my observations also. Can't comment much on the David Butcher drive as I haven't seen it but if his observations are correct re sectionals then there may well be merit in his claim. As a promising three win horse, Irish Whispers ran a mile rate two seconds slower from the front 1.57.9 than one win horse Precious Bet ran also from the front 1.55.9. Precious Bet won. Irish Whispers didn't. 

• Like 1