Bit Of A Yarn

Sharrock takes three shots at Rangitikei Cup

• Journalists

Allan Sharrock will have both quantity and quality on his side at Trentham on Saturday as he shoots for a third Listed James Bull Rangitikei Cup (1600m) in the last seven years.

The New Plymouth trainer won the race with Ladies First in 2017 and Justaskme last year, and he will saddle three runners in Saturday’s 2024 edition of the $80,000 race – Justaskme, Sumi and Islington Lass.

Lightly raced mare Islington Lass will be ridden by Michael McNab and heads the trio as the $2.90 favourite on the TAB’s Final Field market.

The five-year-old daughter of Proisir has had nine starts for five wins and three placings. She won all of her first three starts this season in impressive style, then finished a last-start second in the Listed ANZAC Mile (1600m) at Otaki – beaten by a long neck by Mr Mojo Risin’.

“It was a very good run last time and I think she’s tip-top for tomorrow,” Sharrock said. “This is the race we’ve been targeting with her.

“I’m very happy with the build-up she’s had. I think the track is a genuine Soft7, so by that stage of the day, it shouldn’t be a disadvantage to be drawn out where she is in gate 14. I’m expecting her to run well.”

Sumi is rated a $7 second favourite in the Rangitikei Cup market, sharing second favouritism with northern raider Channel Surfer.

“I was happy enough with her run for second at New Plymouth last Saturday,” Sharrock said. “They dawdled around and Lisa Allpress pulled their pants down with her front-running ride on the winner, which happens sometimes in racing.

“She’s come through the race well and she’s as fit as we can make her. I probably couldn’t see her beating Islington Lass in this race, but then again, I didn’t think La Crique could get beaten at Rotorua last week either, so you never know.”

The defending champion Justaskme is rated a $21 chance of defending his crown under his 59kg topweight.

“He’s building up his fitness nicely,” Sharrock said. “I’ve put the hood on this week. I was probably envisaging a heavier track.

“I’d expect a better run from him tomorrow, and then it’s another two weeks until his main target, the AGC Training Stakes (Listed, 1600m) at weight-for-age at Wanganui.”

Sharrock’s other runner at Trentham on Saturday is the maiden Tavistock mare Dresse’ Par Joli, whose three previous starts have produced two seconds and a fourth.

“She had no luck last start and has the makings of quite a nice mare,” Sharrock said. “She’s another one that’s drawn wide, but hopefully that won’t be a problem with the way the track is. I can see her going close to a win.”  

View the full article