Bit Of A Yarn

Broadsiding announces himself as rising star with J.J. Atkins win

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists
Broadsiding-500x280.jpegBroadsidingJames McDonald salutes as Broadsiding destroys his rivals in the Group 1 JJ Atkins. Photo: Darren Winningham

Broadsiding announced himself as the best two-year-old galloper in Australia with a breath-taking win in the Group 1 J.J. Atkins, as James McDonald rose in the irons to salute the crowd as the pair crossed the line 4.25 lengths ahead of the rest of the field.

The James Cummings-trained colt has taken everything in his stride this season, claiming the Group 1 Champagne Stakes three starts back before producing a slashing run to claim the Group 2 BRC Sires’ Produce Stakes last start at the same track as Saturday’s victory.

A son of Too Darn Hot, Broadsiding opened as an odds-on market elect when the fields came out on Wednesday, and punters continued to back the favourite, who jumped at -166.67 with online bookmakers.

China Sea (+10000) and Aemelius (+1800) made sure that the tempo was strong as they served up to each other mid-race and tried to kick away before the home turn, while Busustow (+3300) and El Morzillo (+1300) stalked them and started to peel off their heels.

However, everyone could see McDonald coasting along aboard the eventual winner and when he asked for the ultimate effort, Broadsiding bounded clear and put the race to bed with 200m to go.

2024 J.J. Atkins replay – Broadsiding

James Cummings was very complimentary of his rising star, and he spoke post-race.

“He’s such a good colt, so he certainly deserved his chance but great credit to the team who have managed through a big campaign,” Cummings said.

“The only real doubt throughout the week for some was a dry track or perhaps even a long prep but I’ve got such a good team that I’ve been able to keep not only fit but also healthy, well, growing, and loving his training.

“He paraded like a colt that was thriving and he got the big salute there from James McDonald.

“He sort of had that feel about perhaps being the best two-year-old in the country this season.

“He’s been a horse that has been able to keep improving and being by Too Darn Hot out of a Street Cry mare, he’s got his future well and truly assured on the roster at Darley.

“We haven’t had the best of luck earlier in the day and he said I’ll be getting out on this horse, and he just rode the horse magnificently.

“That big salute, that’s pretty special for a colt that I think deserves a lot of praise.”

James McDonald echoed the thoughts of Cummings in his post-race interview.

“Champion two-year-old that one,” McDonald announced.

“I’ve had enough practices being in behind today, I thought I better let that one go. I thought we executed the gallop beautifully.

“He’s a ball of muscle. He knows he’s really good.

“He’s a character but James (Cummings) has done a phenomenal job. I can’t stress how good a job he’s done, to be fair.

“He keeps raising the bar but he’s got a good colt on his hands. He’s special.

“He is a fair dinkum two-year-old and he will get stronger as he gets older. It is a pleasure to ride him.”

Horse racing news

View the full article