Bit Of A Yarn

A breeder appointed as chair of the NZTR board

Russell Warwick Appointed Chairman of the NZTR Board

Russell Warwick has been appointed by the NZTR Board as Chairman at today’s June Board meeting.

Taking effect immediately, Warwick will replace current Chairman Cameron George following his announcement to step down at the end of the current racing season, 31 July.

Russell Warwick brings a wealth of industry knowledge and administrative experience to the appointment. As the General Manager of Westbury Stud, Warwick’s ability to lead one of NZ’s elite breeding and racing programmes made him an excellent candidate for the NZTR Chair.

“The industry has made excellent headway in recent times, but there is still a lot of work to do,” Warwick said.

“I really enjoy being able to give back to the industry, and timing wise, I feel I can offer a constructive view as we look to inspire a new generation of stakeholders and encourage further growth within the business.”

Warwick is quick to congratulate outgoing Chairman Cameron George on the improvements to racing during his tenure as Chairman.

“Cameron George’s contribution to New Zealand Racing throughout his tenure is unmatched. He has driven growth and guided the industry into a period of change that has brought new life and excitement to the sport.”

Under his leadership, George, who has served as Chair since 2020, has played a pivotal role in steering NZTR and the racing industry through various challenges and sizeable achievements over recent years. 

“My journey at NZTR started with navigating a path forward for the business through COVID-19,” George said.

“Over time, we have managed to rebuild the industry into the strong position it now holds, demonstrating the resilient team environment I’ve been fortunate enough to be involved in over the last four years. “

“I’ve enjoyed all the challenges this role has presented me with and the changes that have be made. We have developed initiatives like the NZB Kiwi alongside NZB and Entain and I couldn’t be more excited to see that race come to life.”

“With a proven track record in outstanding leadership, industry knowledge and relationships we have absolute confidence in Russell’s ability to continue with the momentum underway."

Corporate Communications
New Zealand Thoroughbred Racing
+64 27 252 2803

nztrcommunications@nztr.co.nz