Bit Of A Yarn

Dee and Rheinberg a winning combo

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists

Consistent five-year-old Rheinberg (NZ) (Swiss Ace) was back in the winner’s circle for the first time since October when running out a strong winner of the Sportsbet Race Replays Handicap (1440m) at Caulfield on Saturday.

Prepared by Ben, Will and JD Hayes, the son of Swiss Ace has now won six of his 16 starts, with a further seven placings.

Top jockey Mick Dee clicks with the gelding and has ridden Rheinberg to five of those victories, and crucially was back aboard for the first time since finishing second when resuming a new campaign back in March.

Rheinberg was given every opportunity just behind the leaders and while runner-up St Lawrence (NZ) (Redwood) was pocketed upon straightening, the winner had first run and put the result beyond doubt.

“I always keep an eye on him, because I have won a few on him now,” Dee said. “But due to me being in Adelaide or Queensland or wherever, I haven’t been able to be on him in recent runs.

“It was good to get back on him today and it all worked out extremely well. He won quite comfortably.

“We got a clean getaway and luckily enough were able to slot in with a bit of cover. Down the side I didn’t really want to be just sitting and waiting. On this track I wanted to let him build and go through his gears and he put the race to bed at the 400m.

“I didn’t really hear anything coming too strongly and always felt like we had a decent margin. With him, I am always a bit hesitant to hit the front early. I had to today and I felt like he had more to give if something was to come and challenge.”

Lindsay Park’s Ben Hayes said the smooth passage made all the difference to Rheinberg, who has been racing in great heart.

“He has been racing well without winning and arguably would have gone close last start if he had got the gaps,” Hayes said.

“Today it all just worked out. Michael was able to get in just behind the speed. He had no traffic at all and was strong through the line. He looks fantastic, is going really well and we couldn’t be happier. “

Both Rheinberg and St Lawrence commenced their careers in New Zealand, with the winner originally prepared at Matamata by Cody Cole, for whom he was placed in two of three starts.

Like stable star Mr Brightside (NZ) (Bullbars), Rheinberg was sourced by bloodstock agent Wayne Ormond from New Zealand.

Bred by Gerry Harvey, Rheinberg is by Westbury Stud stallion Swiss Ace, out of the Snitzel mare Schiffer, who won two races and finished third behind Karuta Queen (Not A Single Doubt) in the Magic Millions 2YO Classic (1200m).

View the full article