Bit Of A Yarn

Amberite hands trainer Matt Laurie maiden Sydney success

Wandering Eyes

• Journalists
Amberite-500x280.jpegAmberiteAmberite fends off Caprice Des Dieux to score at Rosehill. Photo: Bradleyphotos.com.au

Former Kiwi galloper Amberite continues to make a good impression since joining the stable of Mornington trainer Matt Laurie, with the son of Proisir trekking north to Sydney and winning at Rosehill on Saturday.

The talented four-year-old has now won twice from three starts for Laurie, with a victory at Flemington in May before finishing runner-up to Foujita San at Caulfield earlier this month.

The gelding had shown plenty of talent in New Zealand, collecting two wins and five placings for Matamata trainer Vicki Prendergast, including a seven-length triumph over subsequent Group 3 Manawatu Classic (2100m) winner Outovstock.

Ridden by Regan Bayliss, Amberite led throughout and dug deep when challenged by runner-up Caprice Des Dieux, with Bright Red back in third.

“He was able to lead in a very relaxed manner,” Laurie said. “He has a bit of fight, this horse.

“Our initial plan was to run last week (at the abandoned Sydney meeting) and then go up to the Caloundra Cup (Listed, 2400m) but we won’t be doing that now.

“I am leaning towards maybe pulling up now but there is a race at Randwick in two weeks.

“I’ve only had him for three runs, he had a little bit of racing in New Zealand, and he looks like he’s at a point where we might be able to build his rating.”

Laurie said he elected to keep the horse in Sydney through the week for the $160,000 contest, rather than a 2000m benchmark 78 back in Melbourne which was worth half the prize money.

“We kept the horse in Sydney this week, he stayed with Gerald (Ryan) so we are thankful to him for helping me out. This is my first winner in Sydney, I’m happy to get that win,” Laurie said.

From 20 starts, Amberite has now had four wins, six placings and $258,220 in stakes. He is still raced by his New Zealand owners and carries the red and black colours of the Bayly family – best known for the likes of Blue Denim, Eagle Eye, Lion Tamer and Harris Tweed, all owned by the late Phil Bayly.

Amberite is one of six winners from six foals to race out of the Elusive Quality mare Elusive Elle, who is a half-sister to Group One winner Bonaria, along with stakes-winning mare Legally Bay, dam of Group One-winning sprinter and sire Merchant Navy.

Bred by the Pike family’s V T W Breeding Company, Amberite was offered by Hallmark Stud in Book 1 of Karaka 2021 and was bought for $120,000.

Horse racing news

View the full article