NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

NZTR

On 7/17/2024 at 6:57 AM, Freda said:

At last, someone prepared to critique the NZTR management ethic other than we 'keyboard warriors'.   And, excellent summation, Wingman.

I am as surprised as the above poster that they think the current foal crop is 'optimal'.  We have the drop off in foal numbers from, say, 20 years ago, when things were going well [ or at least way better than now ]  and exacerbated with the loss of competitors through overseas sales.    But seemingly not factored in is the ever-increasing numbers which are sent to Australia to compete under local ownership.    

At a 'roadshow'  years ago, under the Purcell / Goodson administration, much was made of [ potentially] those very facts from the floor and the numbers bandied about were rubbished.  But they weren't wrong.  That same administration was handed some very good work outlining handicapping/programming matters that could have been tweaked even back then.  But ignored.

And the blasted paperwork referred to....have to agree wholeheartedly with the NZB guy.   The big stable/syndicate/owner operations have professional office staff.  But most smaller outfits don't.    A young trainer remarked to me only last week, it's just too hard.  I'd be happier training my own and not worrying about all the hoops we have to jump through.

Recently an overseas [senior] rider returned home overseas, with some apprentice funds still in his account.  He had applied online - with much difficulty -to have those funds transferred to his bank account.  Now I wasn't much help, he, like most young people can find his way around websites with ease, but even he battled with it.  Finally, we both checked everything as done OK and pressed ' submit'.

Nothing happened.  Phone calls went unanswered, finally I was told 'tell him to do it again, it must have timed out' .      But he couldn't.   Eventually I contacted an employee from NZTR whom I knew well, and she managed to do it herself, although it wasn't her area of work at all.  Just hopeless.

Without her assistance, this lad's money would have just remained sitting there.

The admin stuff - and staff - gets bigger and bigger, and the bits that matter are still unaddressed.

Shall I suggest too many (overpaid) chiefs and not enough indians? 

• Like 1