NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Dusty Road keeps Tarzino Trophy dream alive

• Journalists
Dusty-Road-scaled-1-500x280.jpgDusty RoadDusty Road sailing across the line to win at Te Rapa on Saturday. Photo: Megan Liefting (Race Images)

Dusty Road gave Graeme Cameron his first taste of Group One racing last year, and the Cambridge owner-trainer is keen to shoot for the stars again after a dominant performance at Te Rapa.

Cameron arrived at Te Rapa on Saturday with eight training successes to his name, three of them from Dusty Road. That highly talented son of Shamexpress has also taken on some of New Zealand’s best with a midfield finish in the Group 1 Levin Classic (1600m) as a three-year-old, followed earlier this season by a sixth in the Group 3 Spring Sprint (1400m) and a fifth in the Group 2 Rich Hill Mile (1600m).

The Group 1 Tarzino Trophy (1400m) at Hastings on September 7 is firmly circled in Cameron’s calendar this spring, and what he saw from Dusty Road on Saturday did nothing to change his mind.

Sent out as a $2.10 favourite with horse betting sites for Te Rapa’s $40,000 open sprint, Dusty Road broke well from the starting gates and quickly took up a prominent position on the outside of the leader, Dubai Diva.

Dusty Road pounced at the home turn and kicked away by more than two lengths. Eased down in the last couple of strides by apprentice jockey Liam Kauri, Dusty Road crossed the finish line a length ahead of the late-finishing Fonteyn.

From 21 career starts, Dusty Road has recorded four wins and five placings, earning $120,515 for Cameron and his wife Jacky.

“I don’t know if I’m going over the top or not, but I’m looking at the Tarzino,” Cameron said. “I think he deserves a go in that race. We’ll go straight there, rather than running in the Foxbridge Plate (Group 2, 1200m).

“This horse is just a ripper. I think the 4kg claim did wonders for him today and it was a really good win.

“We looked at Otaki today as well, but I thought this race really suited him. It’s just down the road, and he’ll be back in his paddock in an hour.”

Saturday’s victory was also a notable result for the 25-year-old Kauri. The Central Districts apprentice has now outridden his 4kg claim with the 10th win of his career.

“It’s good to finally lose the 4kg claim, it’s been a bit of a struggle but should be easier from here,” he said.

“I didn’t really have to do anything today. I just sat on him. He jumped out of the gates himself and sorted himself out. I barely even had to steer him around the corners. He did it all himself.”

Horse racing news

View the full article