NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Breeders’ Cup Brothers: Fierceness, Mentee Work at Saratoga for Breeders’ Cup

• Journalists

Repole Stable's Breeders' Cup-bound homebred full-brothers champion and 'TDN Rising Star' Fierceness (City of Light) and Mentee (City of Light) turned in workouts on a brisk autumn morning over Saratoga's Oklahoma training track Thursday.

Fierceness, who was last seen winning a thrilling renewal of the GI DraftKings Travers Stakes Aug. 24, breezed five furlongs to the outside of the stakes-placed Classic Catch (Classic Empire) in 1:01.69 (1/3). The GI Breeders' Cup Classic will be next for Fierceness.

“It was another excellent breeze, pretty much what we've become accustomed to seeing from him,” Pletcher said. “Very relaxed throughout, finished up nicely, galloped out well. He's always been a really exceptional work horse, pretty push-button. It seems like he does it so easily.”

“We wanted a good, solid work today, and I thought we got that,” Pletcher added. “I think physically, he's done really well. He's gotten bigger, stronger, and put on weight. You can see him maturing into a fall 3-year-old. I'm very pleased with his overall condition.”

Shortly after Fierceness wrapped up his work, GIII Futurity Stakes winner Mentee breezed a half-mile in company with Breeders' Cup possible and maiden of three starts Noble Confessor (Quality Road) in :49.39 (3/14).

“I thought it was a good work from him,” Pletcher said. “It looked like he was moving well. He's got a great personality and is very laid back and easy to train.”

The victory in the Futurity awarded Mentee a berth into the five-furlong GI Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf Sprint, but Pletcher said that his preference is the GI Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf at one mile.

“I think right now the plan would be to enter the Juvenile Turf first preference and the Juvenile Turf Sprint second preference, just to keep our options open,” Pletcher said.

LSU Stables' three-time GISW and 'TDN Rising Star' Far Bridge (English Channel) posted a five-furlong breeze Thursday over the Oklahoma turf training track, covering the distance solo in 1:01.47 (1/1). He is a leading contender for the GI Breeders' Cup Turf.

“I'm very happy. It was a typical work from him,” said Miguel Clement, son of and assistant to trainer Christophe Clement. “He had his ears up, playing and looking happy. His next work will be in company next Friday. He does it so naturally and he enjoys it out there. Every furlong he was picking it up–he's enjoying it, he's thriving, and that's what we like to see.”

Bregman Family Racing and Swinbank Stables' three-time stakes-winner Governor Sam (Improbable) returned to the worktab Thursday at Saratoga for the first time since winning the Listed Indian Summer Oct. 6 at Keeneland. He breezed four furlongs in :50.66 (1/1) over the Oklahoma turf.

“We're 15 days out and he just ran 11 days ago–turf sprinters need to be on their toes, so we'll leave it at that,” trainer George Weaver said. “He's an easy horse to be around, he has a lot of class and handles shipping well.”

avw.php?zoneid=45&cb=67700179&n=af62659d

The post Breeders’ Cup Brothers: Fierceness, Mentee Work at Saratoga for Breeders’ Cup appeared first on TDN | Thoroughbred Daily News | Horse Racing News, Results and Video | Thoroughbred Breeding and Auctions.

View the full article