NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Hundreds Turn Out for Pancake Breakfast Fundraiser at Santa Anita

• Journalists

Rafael Bejarano, who recently recovered from a wrist injury, was one of hundreds of people who showed up to the benefit pancake breakfast held by Santa Anita Thursday to help support Adrian Valenzuela who suffered a spinal cord injury in March.

“I am wishing him the best,” Bejarano said. “I’ve been talking with him on Facebook and he is sounding very positive. I talked with him yesterday and he said, ‘Thanks be to God that I feel better every day.'”

Added Bejarano, “I sent him pictures [of the pancake breakfast] to say we support him. He was very happy.”

The Santa Anita backside parking lot was full and there was a line stretching around Clockers’ Corner as racetrackers eagerly awaited their pancakes. A camera crew from CBS 2 Los Angeles and broadcaster Jim Hill of Sports Central, captured the crowd and festivities. The breakfast was accompanied by a raffle and live auction, moderated by Michelle Yu. A table with a bevy of raffle and auction items, including a TV, a drone, hats, and racetrack memorabilia, was set up at Clockers’ Corner. A picture of Secretariat coming down the stretch in the Kentucky Derby signed by Ron Turcotte went for $400. All the proceeds go to Valenzuela.

“We raised a lot of money and we saw a lot of people come out,” said Santa Anita Vice President of Racing Rick Hammerle, organizer of the event.

Jockey Mike Smith, attending the event said, “What’s great about the racetrack is it’s one huge family, someone gets hurt and everyone comes out to support.”

Silent Auction items for the Adrian Valenzuela fund are still available online here. The silent auction will conclude this Sunday, April 22, 2018, at 5:00 p.m.

View the full article