Chief Stipe Posted 2 hours ago Posted 2 hours ago Standout New Zealand stallion sold to Australia in shock move www.nzherald.co.nz https://bitofayarn.com 20 Feb, 2026 06:00 AM3 mins to read Australian Guineas winner Feroce is one of four Group 1 winners already for stallion Super Seth. The New Zealand thoroughbred breeding industry is set to be stunned by news one of our elite stallions, Super Seth, has been sold to Australian breeding giant Coolmore. Majority owner Waikato Stud confirmed the deal on Thursday night which will see Super Seth move to the Hunter Valley in New South Wales to stand at Coolmore’s main farm there. https://bitofayarn.com The sale will come as a major shock to industry insiders as Super Seth is only a nine-year-old and was seen as one of the best young stallions in Australasia and Waikato Stud’s heir apparent to champion stallion Savabeel, who probably has only one more season at stud. Waikato Stud principal Mark Chittick says the decision to sell Super Seth was a business one and he will retain a share in the Caulfield Guineas winner. “It is a business decision and obviously not one taken lightly,” he told the Herald. “He is a wonderful young stallion and we are very proud of what he has achieved in such a short time at stud. “Coolmore approached us looking for a stallion right at the top of the tree after they sadly lost Wootton Bassett last year and they have been on our farm all week looking at Super Seth and some of his stock. https://bitofayarn.com “They made us and the other owners a very generous offer and we have decided to take it to secure the next phase of the future of the farm and our family. “We were the majority owners and will retain a share while some of the other owners will take this opportunity to sell while others will stay in him. “But to have Coolmore recognise his value and want to work with us makes me very proud.” One thing for sure is Super Seth’s price tag must have been enormous to pry him away from Waikato Stud. The son of Dundeel stood at $75,000 at Waikato Stud this breeding season but that fee can expect to double, or more if you take the exchange rate into account, when he crosses the Tasman. Super Seth is already the sire of Australian Group 1 winners Feroce, Linebacker and Maison Louis while his daughter, La Dorada, won the Karaka Millions and Sires’ Produce in New Zealand last season. While losing Super Seth, Waikato Stud announced last week it will be standing unbeaten Group 1 two-year-old winner Return To Conquer from next season, with Coolmore also likely to be buying into him to further strengthen the ties between the two giant breeding operations. “Super Seth has been on our radar for a while now and he strikes us as a stallion that can make a significant impact on the Australian breeding industry,” says Coolmore’s Tom Magnier. “For a young horse, the trajectory that he is on is something that is very rarely seen. He is going to be ideal for so many Australian mares, both physically and on pedigree.” Michael Guerin wrote his first nationally published racing articles while still in school and started writing about horse racing and the gambling industry for the Herald as a 20-year-old in 1990. He became the Herald’s Racing Editor in 1995 and covers the world’s biggest horse racing carnivals. Quote
https://bitofayarn.com 20 Feb, 2026 06:00 AM3 mins to read Australian Guineas winner Feroce is one of four Group 1 winners already for stallion Super Seth. The New Zealand thoroughbred breeding industry is set to be stunned by news one of our elite stallions, Super Seth, has been sold to Australian breeding giant Coolmore. Majority owner Waikato Stud confirmed the deal on Thursday night which will see Super Seth move to the Hunter Valley in New South Wales to stand at Coolmore’s main farm there. https://bitofayarn.com The sale will come as a major shock to industry insiders as Super Seth is only a nine-year-old and was seen as one of the best young stallions in Australasia and Waikato Stud’s heir apparent to champion stallion Savabeel, who probably has only one more season at stud. Waikato Stud principal Mark Chittick says the decision to sell Super Seth was a business one and he will retain a share in the Caulfield Guineas winner. “It is a business decision and obviously not one taken lightly,” he told the Herald. “He is a wonderful young stallion and we are very proud of what he has achieved in such a short time at stud. “Coolmore approached us looking for a stallion right at the top of the tree after they sadly lost Wootton Bassett last year and they have been on our farm all week looking at Super Seth and some of his stock. https://bitofayarn.com “They made us and the other owners a very generous offer and we have decided to take it to secure the next phase of the future of the farm and our family. “We were the majority owners and will retain a share while some of the other owners will take this opportunity to sell while others will stay in him. “But to have Coolmore recognise his value and want to work with us makes me very proud.” One thing for sure is Super Seth’s price tag must have been enormous to pry him away from Waikato Stud. The son of Dundeel stood at $75,000 at Waikato Stud this breeding season but that fee can expect to double, or more if you take the exchange rate into account, when he crosses the Tasman. Super Seth is already the sire of Australian Group 1 winners Feroce, Linebacker and Maison Louis while his daughter, La Dorada, won the Karaka Millions and Sires’ Produce in New Zealand last season. While losing Super Seth, Waikato Stud announced last week it will be standing unbeaten Group 1 two-year-old winner Return To Conquer from next season, with Coolmore also likely to be buying into him to further strengthen the ties between the two giant breeding operations. “Super Seth has been on our radar for a while now and he strikes us as a stallion that can make a significant impact on the Australian breeding industry,” says Coolmore’s Tom Magnier. “For a young horse, the trajectory that he is on is something that is very rarely seen. He is going to be ideal for so many Australian mares, both physically and on pedigree.” Michael Guerin wrote his first nationally published racing articles while still in school and started writing about horse racing and the gambling industry for the Herald as a 20-year-old in 1990. He became the Herald’s Racing Editor in 1995 and covers the world’s biggest horse racing carnivals.
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.