NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

First Impressions: Kentucky Derby

• Journalists

LOUISVILLE, Ky – With the ‘First Saturday in May’ quickly approaching, TDN Senior Editor Steve Sherack caught up with the connections of GI Kentucky Derby contenders to get their first impressions.

“Vino Rosso and Justify were raised in the same paddock. Vino Rosso was more laid back, but always sure of himself. Justify was the more imposing of the two.

If you were paying attention to Vino, Justify would come over with that look of his and would basically be saying, ‘Hey what about me?’ He knew he was the cat’s meow.

It was hard to decide which was the best of the two as they were our top two yearlings that year. Both good physicals, but Justify had it all.”

John D. Gunther, breeder of unbeaten GI Santa Anita Derby winner and ‘TDN Rising Star’ Justify (Scat Daddy) ($500,000 KEESEP yearling) and GII Wood Memorial S. hero Vino Rosso (Curlin) ($410,000 KEESEP yearling).

“I had been shopping the sale for the Lows and we had made a couple of different runs at some horses in Book 1, but when it came around to Book 2, I spotted this horse and just fell in love with him.

Mr. and Mrs. Low are very good at assessing pedigrees and things like that. They’re not these owners that just show up and don’t try to have any involvement.

I told Mr. Low that he looked like a big, two-turn type and probably even said it because I say this all the time-he looked like a ‘First Saturday in May’ type of horse. It just happened to work out that way. Trust me, I’ve said that on other ones and they haven’t all shown up!”

–bloodstock agent Jacob West, who selected unbeaten ‘TDN Rising Star’ and GI Arkansas Derby winner Magnum Moon (Malibu Moon) ($380,000 KEESEP yearling) on behalf of owners Robert E. and Lawana Low.

“Good Magic was an exceptional yearling. A beautifully made horse that oozed class and had a tremendous aura about him. Very good mover, very light on his feet and easy over the ground. Very sound. He had a lot of pedigree top and bottom and a lot of class.

Like all the Curlins, they get better with maturity–distance and time. He progressed very well as a 2-year-old and we’re hopeful he can have a similar progression peaking on the First Saturday in May. That’s the hope.

He’s more than rewarded us already. He’s a champion and Breeders’ Cup winner and now he’s a contender for the Derby.”

–bloodstock agent Mike Ryan, who selected last year’s champion 2-year-old colt and GI Breeders’ Cup Juvenile winner Good Magic (Curlin) ($1 million KEESEP yearling) on behalf of e Five Racing. He is campaigned in partnership along with breeder Stonestreet Stables.

View the full article