NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Coffey’s Amazing Achievement

• Journalists

The were emotional scenes at Morphettville on Saturday as young jockey Harry Coffey recorded his first Group 1 win aboard the Darren Weir trained Sopressa (Aus) (So You Think {NZ}) in the G1 Schweppes Oaks. The 22-year-old suffers from Cystic Fibrosis but there was absolutely nothing going to get in the way of his first top level success as he gave the filly a fantastic ride to fend off Sheezdashing (Aus) (Myboycharlie {Ire}) and Miss Admiration (Aus) (Sebring {Aus}) by a neck and a short head. The winner was brilliant out of the gates, gaining at least a length on the field and Coffey was able to reign his mount back and take a position in fourth on the rails as Bring Me Roses (Aus) (High Chaparral {Ire}), Think Bleue (Aus) (So You Think {NZ}) and Pretty To Sea (NZ) (Ocean Park {NZ}) ensured the pace was strong. Turning into the straight Think Bleue was still at the head of affairs but Sopressa was travelling well in second one off the rail. When Coffey got serious with the filly she took a while to hit top gear and it was only inside the last half furlong that she got her head in front and in fairness to Coffey he could not have timed his run any better.

“This is just so special for Harry and his family, no better moment,” Darren Weir told Racing.com after the race. “It means so much for all of us. It’s a dream come true for Harry and also me to be able to give Harry his first Group 1 winner,” he added.

Coffey was on a high afterwards and was quick to offer his gratitude to Weir for giving him the opportunity. “Darren’s probably wondered at stages if I’d be able to deliver on the day with what I’ve been through because I can remember as a little kid him visiting me in hospital,” the jockey said. It means a lot and my family would be so proud.”

Sopressa arrived as a leading candidate for the Oaks having won the G3 Schweppervescence S. at Morphettville on her previous start on April 21. Up to that her form had been a bit hit and miss; it took her seven runs to break her maiden, which she did at Kyneton in March before finishing only seventh in a listed race at Morphettville over a mile April 7. She easily produced a career best on Saturday when upped to 2000m and her future looks bright.

Pedigree notes…

Sopressa’s sire So You Think (NZ) is really coming to the fore in the Southern Hemisphere after a slightly underwhelming start to his stallion career in Europe. He has sired 12 stakes winners to date and it is no surprise genetically that Sopressa is one of them given the race record of her dam Hidden Strings (Aus) (Weasel Clause {Aus}). Her eight wins included the G2 Marsh Classic and her record at stud is no less impressive with her five named foal all winners. Hidden Strings was also the highest achiever among her own siblings but her grand dam Sunshine Sue (NZ) (Agricola {GB}) won nine races and was stakes placed before producing the black type performers Rainy Day (Aus) (Wilkes {Aus}) and Wilsuelou (Aus) (Wilkes {Aus}), the latter subsequently becoming the dam of G3 Debutante S winner On With It (Aus) (Keen {Aus}). Since Sopressa, Hidden Strings has foaled a filly by Written Tycoon (Aus) in 2015, a colt by Warhorse (NZ) in 2016 and was barren in 2017. Click for the free arion.co.nz catalogue-style pedigree.

SCHWEPPES OAKS-G1, A$501,810 (US$378,323/£279,713/€316,196), SAJC, 5-05, 3yo, f, Open Set, 2000mT, 2:04.34, soft.

1–SOPRESSA (AUS), 56.0, f, 3, by So You Think (NZ)
1st Dam: Hidden Strings, by Weasel Clause
2nd Dam: Shining Sue, by Buoy (GB)
3rd Dam: Sunshine Sue (NZ), by Agricola (GB)
1st GROUP 1 WIN. (A$70,000 Wlg ’15 INGJUN) O-D Molloy, Mrs D Molloy, N Antonio, S Molloy, P Molloy, P White, C Matthews, B Molloy, A Molloy, A Thompson, G Wakefield, R Dickinson, Mrs P Dickinson, G Orr, R Orr, B Molloy, Boatm; B-Victorian Stallion Partnership VIC; T-D K Weir; J-H Coffey; A$321,810. Lifetime Record: 10-3-2-2, A$433,420. Click for the eNicks report & 5-cross pedigree. Werk Nick Rating: A

2–Sheezdashing (Aus), 56.0, f, 3, Myboycharlie (Ire)–Dashing Oberon (Aus), by Falbrav (Ire). (A$52,500 Ylg ’16 INGAPR) O-D Romanelli, B E Arnhold, Mrs M J Wilson, D M Richards, R WFenwick, A Darivas, C Drabsch, R J Donazzan, L R Heinze, Mrs J G Grace & L Webb; B-Mr D Romanelli VIC; T-M Ellerton & S Zahra; J-Damien Thornton; A$85,000.

3–Miss Admiration (Aus), 56.0, f, 3, Sebring (Aus) –Admiring (Aus), by Street Cry (Ire). (A$210,000 Ylg ’16 INGAPR) O-Segenhoe Thoroughbreds Australia Syndicate (Mgr: K W Maloney), A C Lloyd Jones, Dad Racing Syndicate (Mgr: D Marulli), A D Powick, Beautiful Sell Syndicate (Mgr: C A McDonald), B A; B-G & G Bloodstock Australia Pty Ltd WA; T-MG Price; J-B Melham; A$40,000.

Margins: 0.3, 0.4, 0.7. Odds: 11/2, 15/1, 25/1.
Also Ran: Pleasuring (Aus), Think Bleue (Aus), Aloisia (NZ), Savacool (NZ), Semari (NZ), Temple of Bel (Aus), Pure Scot (Aus), Pretty to Sea (NZ), Earth Angel (Aus), Velocita (Aus), Bring Me Roses (Aus). Click for the Racing Post result.

View the full article