NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Cox Reveling In Oaks Aftermath

• Journalists

Louisville native son Brad Cox has seen his star rise over the past three seasons, but his career hit the pinnacle when Monomoy Girl (Tapizar) outfought ‘TDN Rising Star’ Wonder Gadot (Medaglia d’Oro) to take a thrilling renewal of the GI Longines Kentucky Oaks in front of better than 113,000 at sunsplashed Churchill Downs.

Cox greeted well-wishers outside his barn Saturday morning and reported all was well with Monomoy Girl and that it’s full steam ahead from here.

“It was amazing,” the conditioner told the Churchill notes team. “It’s more than you would ever expect as far as the excitement and the thrill. It was an amazing race. It was an unbelievable quarter-mile. From the quarter pole to the wire, it was a battle. It was intense. It was a great outcome for us for sure. I couldn’t be happier.”

Cox indicated that Monomoy Girl would ship to New York for the $700,000 GI Acorn S. on the Belmont S. undercard June 9. Plans are undefined for Sassy Sienna (Midshipman) and Kelly’s Humor (Midnight Lute), sixth and eighth, respectively, in the Oaks.

For her part, Wonder Gadot is set to return to Canada for the June 9 Woodbine Oaks over the synthetic track. The Ontario-bred went wire-to-wire to win the GIII Mazarine S. by six lengths in her lone appearance over the surface last October.

“That’s where she started, and they know her well, so I think it probably would make sense to get her up there and train over that track,” trainer Mark Casse said. “She actually loves the Tapeta, but of course we haven’t found much she doesn’t love.”

Even bigger objectives loom assuming she comes through the Oaks well.

“A good performance there and she’ll probably run in the Queen’s Plate,” Casse confirmed.

Favored Midnight Bisou (Midnight Lute) emerged from her third-place effort in decent shape, despite a rough passage.

“She’s OK, thank goodness,” said trainer Bill Spawr. “I just wish we would have been in a fair fight. [Jockey] Mike [Smith] told me that the first bang tilted him sideways and almost took his right foot out of the stirrup. Then when she got rolling on the turn for home, he got hit again. But she’s all right this morning and that’s what really matters. She’s better than I thought she would be.”

Midnight Bisou returns to Southern California Tuesday, with her next start to be determined.

View the full article