NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Champs Elysees’s Billesdon Brook In Huge Upset In the 1000

• Journalists

Not even the number one filly in Richard Hannon’s stable, last year’s G3 Prestige S. winner Billesdon Brook (GB) (Champs Elysees {GB}) sprang forward in the Newmarket sunshine to cause the biggest upset in the history of the G1 Qipco 1000 Guineas on Sunday. Always travelling strongly in the ruck under Sean Levey, the 66-1 shot took off entering the “dip” and overwhelmed Laurens (Fr) (Siyouni {Fr}) 1 1/2 furlongs out en route to an authoritative 1 3/4-length success from that positively-ridden Northern raider, with the 11-4 favourite Happily (Ire) (Galileo {Ire}) a half length away in third. “That was a massive shock to me,” Levey said. “I thought she had a lot to find and where she’s found it I don’t know. When she ran in the Nell Gwyn she was a little bit gassy but ran well to finish fourth. I thought I might be going a little bit early, but I didn’t want to disappoint her and so I let her use that turn of foot. I’ve had plenty of winners and plenty of opportunities, but I needed that good horse.” Hannon added, “My Guineas winners aren’t popular, but I train for lovely people and all of ours need their first run. There was absolutely no fluke about the way she did it today.”

BILLESDON BROOK (GB), f, 3, Champs Elysees (GB)–Coplow (GB), by Manduro (Ger).
O-Pall Mall Partners & Partners; B-Stowell Hill Partners (GB); T-Richard Hannon; J-Sean Levey. £310,487. Lifetime Record: 10-4-2-2, £367,353.

View the full article