NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

TAB Elite Punters?

42 minutes ago, CrossCodes said:

Definitely on turnover. I used to get regular rebates, never amounted to much as I do a lot of fixed odds and sports bets and they don't count as turnover.

The rebate amount varies on what type of bet you spend the turnover on, win, place, quinella, trifectas...etc....all have different rebate amounts added to them.

Also of note the American, English, Singapore and Hong Kong races also are not included in the turnover amount.

So you really have to be spending a hell of a lot of money to get a decent rebate.

If it’s on turnover, my mistake. 

9 hours ago, Shivaree said:

Do you think matched deposits, boosted odds, free bets etc fall into the same basket mardigras? Don't all organisations use this tactic to lure punters? Are you saying none of them know what they are doing?

No, I don't think they are even remotely similar. 

Seems to me that what might increase revenue is overall pricing. That in essence means offering the rebates to everyone via lower takeouts. This worked before when the duty relief was first granted. Then they unexplainedly reversed the strategy.

14 minutes ago, Shivaree said:

How do they differ in your opinion?

Rebates affect the price/value of the punters not involved in the rebate. Punters will bet BECAUSE of the rebate itself. Elite punters as of a couple of years back, were performing overall ahead of the takeout rate (excluding the rebate). i.e they may be losing on average 10% gross in races with a 15% take out rate, excluding the rebate (which means that they are outperforming the average punter). So every bet they place additionally that is solely due to receiving a rebate, will on average increase the average loss rate of the other punters betting into those pools (on average). 

That will increase the average rate of loss by other punters which will ultimately lead to them doing less turnover or giving up due to perceived inability to win periodically as frequently. Which turns punters away as they simply find they are losing their money faster than expected and change their behaviour or stop altogether.

As mentioned elsewhere, lowering the takeout for all is a far better option. And it cannot do what I describe.

Promotional bets are often restricted to 1 - 4 bets from the bonus. They are generally targeted at punters where the organisation expects to get the money back from the punter. Often from bookies offering fixed odds. 

Perhaps you can tell us why they aren't offered on fixed odds betting in NZ if they are such an earner?

Edited by mardigras
  • Like 1

On 8/05/2018 at 6:11 PM, Shivaree said:

How do they differ in your opinion?

What makes you think they are the same? And as I asked earlier, if they are such an earner for NZ TAB, why is fixed odds turnover not included? Don't they value those punters?