Bit Of A Yarn

Rotorua Race Horse's massively lucky escape

Thomass

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rotorua-daily-post/video/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503430&gal_cid=1503430&gallery_id=214533

Well it wasn't really lucky escaping yesterday...cleaning out a solid 2M Iron fence...through the car Park and out onto the main road down Fenton Street....off to the Polynesian Pools for a swim...

Anyway you look at it...LAURAMIA was VERY lucky to survive...

A runaway racehorse caused a stir this afternoon after it was spotted hoofing it down Fenton St without a rider, closely followed by a horse and jockey chasing it.

Thomas Sears was just minding his business standing outside the bank on Fenton St, when he heard something unusual.

"I heard a galloping noise, so I turned around and had a look and I saw this completely jet-black horse come flying down the road in the oncoming lane towards traffic," Sears said.

"In the other lane was a cop car with his lights on coming after him."

ADVERTISEMENT

Sears went back to getting money out of the ATM when he heard a second galloping noise behind him.

"I looked up and there was a second horse, with a rider on it, chasing after the first one."

The horse was running north from the Fenton St and Hinemoa St intersection, towards the Government Gardens, he said.

Sears said he believed that due to the second rider chasing after it, the runaway horse must have come from the racecourse not too far away.

Races were being held at the racecourse this evening.

A police spokeswoman confirmed police had been called to reports of a horse on the loose at 3.26pm.