Bit Of A Yarn

Winston & the TB Breeders

Tax business announced sounds like it will need refining - to define what it deemed to be a worthy animal ...

I can see nothing at all which will directly assist the likes of a small breeder like me - largely breeding to race - unless there is an overall uplift in the industry as a result which I can somehow coat-tail on.

I think most likely however it will really only benefit the big players - the major studs, queen street investors and syndicators.  The rest of us will continue to pay exorbitant fees for most services (wasn't talking stallion fees but might as well include them as plenty priced well up there) with our only hope an offshore sale or a decent horse and increased stakes.

Mind you - maybe we are not really important in terms of industry finanicals - in which case I can see why no-one would seek to support or incentivise our endeavors ...    

• Like 1

Haven't looked at the proposal carefully enough Flash ... but the likes of say Te Akau have their fingers in breeding pies so I reckon they'd find a way to gain advantage from it ... and possibly other syndicators too ...  

As I say - I don't know the details but on the face of it I only see the big fish getting bigger and the small `uns shrinking  still further ...

Happy to be corrected if someone else has a better understanding ... 

And as I say - playing devil's advocate - maybe the likes of my participation (breed one or two a year; race progeny etc) is so irrelevant to the industry that it makes no fiscal sense to ease our passage and industry/political efforts are better placed solely to support the big players ... 

On 19/05/2018 at 6:25 PM, Flash said:

I agree Jess but I don't see why syndicators should benefit as they are not selecting horses with future breeding in mind, they are set up for racing, does that not fall outside the guidelines ?

Hello Flash? Syndicators not selecting colts with stallion potential...come out, come out from wherever you’ve been hiding.....well, what syndicator comes to mind?  Ring a bell??