NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Santa Ana Back To His Best

• Journalists

Santa Ana Lane (Aus) (Lope de Vega {Ire}) had picked up a first Group 1 win in last spring’s Sir Rupert Clarke S., and he made it number two on Saturday in the G1 Goodwood S. at Morphettville. Towards the back behind a fast pace early, Santa Ana Lane was sent up the inside by Ben Melham. He came with a furious late rally to hit the lead approaching the 50 metre mark and win going away by 1 1/4 lengths.

Santa Ana Lane was coming into this third up and had been an unlucky third on May 5 in the G3 DC McKay S. when held up while trying to make his run, and Melham referenced that effort when telling Racenet.com.au, “He put the writing on the wall the other day. He got held up till late. If he was going to come here and produce that turn of foot today, he was always going to be competitive. They just burned him out of the barriers. He was out the back and didn’t go early but I was happy to bide my time and let him travel. I was going to come wide but it would have been a hassle to do so and I would have covered a lot of ground. It opened up down on the inside and I was more than happy to switch back there. He let go with that good turn of foot and he was too good.”

Pedigree Notes…

Santa Ana Lane is the second foal, and lone winner to date, out of the winning Fastnet Rock mare Fast Fleet (Aus). Her next three foals were all unraced, and still to hit the track is a yearling filly by Toorak Toff (Aus). Santa Ana Lane is one of two Group 1 winners Down Under for his former shuttle sire, in addition to Vega Magic, who was eighth here while attempting to defend his title. Lope de Vega has also been represented this season by Qatar Racing’s imported Endless Drama, the winner of the G2 Apollo S. who is knocking at the door in Group 1 company.

Saturday, Morphettville, Australia
GOODWOOD S.-G1, A$1,003,120, SAJC, 5-19, 3yo/up, Open Set Weight, 1200mT, 1:09.88, Soft.
1–SANTA ANA LANE, 58.5, g, 5, by Lope de Vega (IRE)
1st Dam: Fast Fleet, by Fastnet Rock
2nd Dam: Fleet Marguerite (USA), by Gulch (USA)
3rd Dam: Far Flying (USA), by Far North (CAN)
(A$80,000 Ylg 2014 WI Melbourne Premier Yearling Sale)
O-William St (Mgr: M A Ramsden); B-Patinack Farm NSW;
T-Anthony Freedman; J-B Melham; A$643,120. Lifetime
Record: 26-6-1-5, A$1,280,820. Werk Nick Rating: A+++
*Triple Plus*. Click for the eNicks report & 5-cross pedigree.
2–Missrock, 52.5, m, 4, Fastnet Rock–Miss Judgement, by
Strategic. (A$500,000 Ylg 2015 MM Gold Coast Yearling Sale)
O-R H Montague, Mrs S M Delaney, T M Montague, S R
Montague, M A Lester, Mrs R K Lowe, P W Lowe, M Sambucco,
Mrs J E Butler, R N Butler, P J Butler, A Melideo, Mrs A
Athanasakos, P A; B-Cressfield NSW; T-R E Laing; J-Ben
Thompson; A$170,000.
3–I’ll Have a Bit, 53.5, f, 3, Smart Missile–Take All of Me, by
Jeune (GB). (A$48,000 Ylg 2016 WI Melbourne VOBIS Gold
Yearling Sale) O-T H, Mrs V J, G P & A M Martin; B-Mr KW
Breese VIC; T-John McArdle; J-Chris Parnham; A$80,000.
Margins: 1.3 len, 1.5 len, 2.0 len. Odds: 25.00, 16.00, 50.00.
Also Ran: Flamberge, Super Cash, Steel Frost, Handsome Thief (IRE), Vega Magic, Exalted Adam, Voodoo Lad, Overshare, Mica Lil, Viddora, Stellar Collision, Nipperkin, Secret Agenda, Viridine, Lope de Capio, Ferrando (NZ), Thronum. Click for the Racing Post result. Click for the free Arion.co.nz catalogue-style pedigree.

View the full article