NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Death Of TM Opera O

• Journalists

Multiple Group 1 winner, former horse of the year and sire TM Opera O (Jpn) (Opera House {GB}–Once Wed, by Blushing Groom {Fr}) has died in Japan aged 22, according to the Racing Post. The winner of seven races at the top level and 14 in all, TM Opera O set a world record for career earnings in 2000 when he won, among others, the G1 Japan Cup. That record remained for 17 years until Arrogate (Unbridled’s Song) won the G1 Dubai World Cup last year and was also subsequently eclipsed by fellow Japanese horse Kitasan Black (Jpn) (Black Tide {Jpn}). Trained by Ichizo Iwamoto, TM Opera O was also crowned Japan’s Horse of the Year in 2000 after his five Grade 1 wins that season which ranged from ten to sixteen furlongs. He died of a heart attack at the Hakuba Bokujo Farm in Niikappu-cho, Hokkaido and speaking to the Racing Post his owner Masatsugu Takezono said, “I understand it was an instant death without any suffering. When I went to see him last autumn he was energetic and he had just finished breeding to two mares this year. It’s very sad. I’ll never forget his unbelievable success in 2000.” TM Opera O failed to scale such lofty heights as a stallion. According to statistics from the JBIS website he sired 139 winners but none of these winners scored in stakes company.

View the full article