NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Dettori to Ride Hazapour in Derby

• Journalists

Italian reinsman Frankie Dettori will ride Hazapour (Ire) (Shamardal) in the £1.5-million G1 Investec Derby at Epsom for owner the Aga Khan and trainer Dermot Weld. Dettori has won the world’s premier Classic twice, with Authorized (Ire) (Montjeu {Ire}) in 2007 and Golden Horn (GB) (Cape Cross {Ire}) in 2015, with Weld’s sole success coming through Harzand (Ire) (Sea The Stars {Ire}) just two years ago. Harzand was the latest of the Aga Khan’s five winners, going back to Shergar (GB) (Great Nephew {GB}) in 1981.

“It’s a great honour to ride for the Aga Khan,” he said. “He is a nice horse coming into the race and he put in a good performance in the Derby Trial at Leopardstown.”

That victory in the G3 Derrinstown Stud Derby Trial secured a place in the Derby line-up for Hazapour, who is from the same family as Harzand. The Shamardal colt was ridden by Declan McDonogh at Leopardstown, but Dettori will take over at Epsom, while trainer John Gosden has a Derby contender in Roaring Lion (Kitten’s Joy). That colt is owned by Qatar Racing, whose main rider is Oisin Murphy. Weld is currently without the services of stable jockey Pat Smullen, who was diagnosed with a tumour in March.

“I’m very excited, but my thoughts go out to Pat Smullen,” added Dettori. “I’ve got the ride in unfortunate circumstances. I know Pat very well and he is a good friend of mine and we’ve been keeping in touch and I’m sure he will give me help about the horse. The Aga Khan’s breeding operation is steeped in history and this horse has got the right pedigree for it. The combination of Dermot Weld and the Aga Khan is amazing and the history they have in the Derby is amazing.”

View the full article