NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Frankel’s Without Parole Wins the Heron

• Journalists

Warming up for a tilt at the June 19 G1 St James’s Palace S. at Royal Ascot, Without Parole went through the rain-softened ground to up his game after wins in novice contests at Newcastle Dec. 16 and Yarmouth Apr. 24. Sent off the 4-6 favourite, the bay was settled behind the leading trio early by Frankie Dettori before earning the lead approaching the furlong pole. Pushed out to the line as Gabr (GB) (Intello {Ger}) closed in, he had 3/4 of a length to spare there over last year’s G1 Racing Post Trophy fifth. “It was quite a slog up that hill and I was nervous about running him, as I had missed a couple of bits of work after the foot abscess,” Gosden said. “I missed a lot of time with him and he needed it a little bit. The ground was very testing and it was dead old ground. He is a likeable horse and good-to-firm ground is his scene. That was a little bit demanding for him and Frankie committed early, but his class got him through. It wasn’t his ideal conditions and he came there slightly below the minimum work, but I had to get a run in if I was going to Ascot. He was in his box for a long time, then just walking and I’ve only got two pieces of work in and one was somewhat leisurely to say the least. We will go to the St James’s Palace Stakes and if we have lovely summer ground he will come on a bundle.” Dettori added, “The soft ground was breaking his pattern and he was struggling on it. I think he would get a mile and a quarter, but he has the speed for a mile. He’s got quite a classical Frankel stride and is a pleasure to ride. He’s done nothing wrong so far.”

WITHOUT PAROLE (GB), c, 3, Frankel (GB)–Without You Babe, by Lemon Drop Kid). (650,000gns RNA Ylg ’16 TATOCT).
O-John & Tanya Gunther; B-John Gunther (GB); T-John Gosden; J-Lanfranco Dettori. £22,684. Lifetime Record: 3-3-0-0, £30,964.

View the full article