NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Audible Will Not Run in Belmont

• Journalists

Audible (Into Mischief), who most believed was the main threat to ‘TDN Rising Star’ Justify (Scat Daddy), in the GI Belmont S. June 9, is no longer being considered for the final leg of the Triple Crown, reports Elliott Walden, the president and CEO of the colt’s co-owner, WinStar Farm.

The story was first reported by the Daily Racing Form’s David Grening.

Audible and Justify are owned by the same partners, and that could have created one of the more unusual and potentially awkward situations in Triple Crown history. The owners of Justify potentially could have cost their horse a Triple Crown sweep by beating him with another horse they own. Now, it’s a moot point.

Walden said the decision not to run Audible was made by his trainer, Todd Pletcher. Walden said Pletcher was not pleased with the way the colt had been training after his third-place finish in the GI Kentucky Derby. Pletcher had scheduled a work for Audible Friday morning but decided to gallop him instead.

“I know people are going to wonder about Audible and all that, but Todd called me yesterday and said he didn’t want to work him this morning,” Walden said. “He wanted to give him a little more time. I told him it was completely up to him. I was for running (Audible). I think we showed that by running Quip (Distorted Humor) in the Preakness. These are good problems to have and we’re blessed to have so many good horse. We just want to do what’s best for each individual horse.”

WinStar will still enter a competitor to Justify in the Belmont. Walden said GII Louisiana Derby hero Noble Indy (Take Charge Indy), which it owns in partnership with Mike Repole, worked well Friday and is being pointed for the race.

View the full article