NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Holy Roman Emperor’s Romanised Shocks Irish Guineas Rivals

• Journalists

With Elarqam (GB) (Frankel {GB}) running no sort of race, Saturday’s G1 Tattersalls Irish 2000 Guineas at The Curragh was open to something from leftfield and so it proved as Romanised (Ire) (Holy Roman Emperor {Ire}) sprang a 25-1 upset to provide the Ken Condon stable with a first Classic. Missing the break and racing in rear under Shane Foley, the bay who was last seen finishing sixth in the Listed Tetrarch S. over seven furlongs at Naas May 7 was delivered wide with a strong-staying effort to reel in the long-time leader U S Navy Flag (War Front) 150 yards from the line and assert for a 2 1/4-length success, with Gustav Klimt (Ire) (Galileo {Ire}) 1 1/4 lengths away in third. “I had to make up quite a bit of ground to get to them, so I just nursed him and he got there,” Foley said. “I quietly fancied this horse, so it is not a great shock to me.” Elarqam, the 2-1 favourite, was already being ridden along at halfway and ended up a very disappointing sixth.

View the full article