NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Gronkowski Puts in First Work at Belmont

• Journalists

Phoenix Thoroughbreds’ GI Belmont S. hopeful Gronkowski (Lonhro {Aus}) put in his first work for new trainer Chad Brown over Big Sandy Saturday, going a half-mile in company with GII Woody Stephens S. contender Engage (Into Mischief) in :47.99 (3/35) (video).

“He breezed great. It was his first work for us,” Brown said. “We gave him a couple of weeks to acclimate over here and get used to the main track, and it went better than expected.”

With jockey Jose Ortiz in the irons, Gronkowski registered splits of :24 2/5 and :47 4/5, galloping out in 1:00 1/5, according to the NYRA clockers.

“[Jose] was very pleased,” Brown said. “It just worked out today that he could come out and work him. He gave me some really good feedback that was positive and helpful for me.”

Beginning his career in Europe, Gronkowski won his last four starts for previous trainer Jeremy Noseda, most recently taking the Burradon S. at Newcastle Mar. 30. That win earned him a spot in the gate for the GI Kentucky Derby, but he was forced to miss that race due to a minor infection. His connections opted to reroute him to the Triple Crown’s final leg and place him under Brown’s care.

“Not having had the horse very long, I’m limited to what I can do and what kind of training regimen I can set up,” Brown said. “Based on this unique situation, I set up a plan that I feel is fair to try and get him to the race if he’s fit enough and good enough.”

The trainer continued, “It takes a special horse to get there, and based on what I saw [Saturday], he looked good out there. I’m excited to see what he does next weekend. He came to me in outstanding condition. He’s a very sound and easy to transition into what we’re doing here. The horse is smart and all class, he has [the] true signs of a really good racehorse.”

GIII Peter Pan S. winner Blended Citizen (Proud Citizen) also worked in preparation for the Belmont Saturday, breezing a best-of-35 half-mile in :47.55 in Elmont (video). With trainer Nick Esler at the controls, the Doug O’Neill pupil clocked splits of :12 3/5 and :25 with a five-panel gallop out in 1:00 flat and six furlongs in 1:13.

“He’s always worked well on the dirt,” O’Neill said. “I think the blinkers helped him focus and not run immaturely or spotty. The blinkers also helped the rider place him in his races easier [and have] more early speed away from the gate.”

View the full article