NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Five-Horse Field Makes C & C Cup a Tactical Affair

• Journalists

Sunday’s Standard Chartered Champions & Chater Cup is the last of 12 Group 1 races on the annual calendar in Hong Kong, and given that just five horses have signed up for the 12-furlong test, it could very well become a riders’ race.

TDN Rising Star‘ Pakistan Star (Ger) (Shamardal) has had more ups and downs this season than the tram that carts tourists up Victoria Peak, but the 5-year-old gelding enters his first try at this distance in career-best form. The Hong Kong International Sales graduate, who has had to pass the stewards for a variety of misdeeds this season, came full circle in his latest with a dominating victory from off the pace in the G1 Audemars Piguet QE II Cup (2000m) Apr. 29, and a smashing recent barrier trial on the local dirt suggests he may yet still have a few lengths of improvement in him. However, the quirky galloper is almost certain to be unsuited by the shape of Sunday’s race.

“Mentally, he likes to chase horses so this race, with no pace, is a concern,” trainer Tony Cruz, who saddles three of the quintet, told HKJC’s Andrew Hawkins. “He’s got to have some pace on. I don’t want any surprises with Pakistan Star–I don’t want him to go to the front and then stop, we haven’t got time for that kind of nonsense from him, so I want him to stick to what he has shown he appreciates.”

WATCH: Pakistan Star earned his first Group 1 in the QE II Cup

Though Pakistan Star is at odds-on in overnight wagering, Exultant (Ire) (Teofilo {Ire}) seems to be the apple of Cruz’s eye. The 4-year-old was given an enterprising ride by Zac Purton in the G3 Queen Mother Memorial Cup May 6, taking off around his rivals at midway before staying on strongly to the line to score by a half-dozen lengths.

“He’s come through the race very well, he’s in top form,” Cruz said. “I think he will run a big race again, he’s just as fit as last time. He showed last time that he could be ridden on the pace and I think he just has one speed so in this race, where there is no speed, he could be the one to take it up.”

Gold Mount (GB) (Excellent Art {GB}) is the third of the Cruz trio.

Chemical Charge (Ire) (Sea The Stars {Ire}) makes history by becoming the first shipper to contest the Champions & Chater Cup. He was hardly embarrassed by his lone appearance in Hong Kong, where he finished a close fourth to Highland Reel (Ire) (Galileo {Ire}) in the G1 Longines Hong Kong Cup last December.

Eagle Way (Aus) (More Than Ready), third in last year’s renewal, completes the field.

View the full article