NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Justify Draws Rail In Belmont

• Journalists

After drawing the cozy seven-hole in both the GI Kentucky Derby and GI Preakness S., undefeated Justify (Scat Daddy) pulled the tougher rail position in Tuesday’s draw as he attempts to become the 13th Triple Crown winner in Saturday’s GI Belmont S.

Installed as the 4-5 morning line favorite in a field of 10, Justify will break from the rail for the first time in his career while going for his sixth win in as many starts. The second choice at 9-2 is Hofburg (Tapit), seventh in the Derby, who will start from the four post. The other runners in single digits on the morning line are Preakness second finisher Bravazo (Awesome Again) and GII Wood Memorial S. victor Vino Rosso (Curlin), both at 8-1.

“I never like to draw the rail, but I just feel that most importantly, the horse is doing well,” said Justify’s trainer Bob Baffert. “Last time I went through this, American Pharoah stepped back right when the gates opened and I got lucky he got away from there. You can have a great hole, but if you don’t leave there, you’re in trouble. We have it, we can’t change it, so we’ll just deal with.”

The field, from the rail out with riding assignments and morning-line prices, is: Justify (Mike Smith, 4-1), Free Drop Billy (Union Rags, Robby Albarado, 30-1), Bravazo (Luis Saez, 8-1), Hofburg (Irad Ortiz, Jr., 9-2), Restoring Hope (Giant’s Causeway, Florent Geroux, 30-1), Gronkowski (Lonhro {Aus}, Jose Ortiz, 12-1), Tenfold (Curlin, Ricardo Santana, Jr., 12-1), Vino Rosso (John Velazquez, 8-1), Noble Indy (Take Charge Indy, Javier Castellano, 30-1), Blended Citizen (Proud Citizen, Kyle Frey, 15-1).

View the full article