NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Cairo Prince Filly Fastest at OBS

• Journalists

A filly by Cairo Prince turned in the fastest quarter-mile breeze  during the first session of the under-tack show for the Ocala Breeders’ Sales Company’s June Sale of 2-Year-Olds in Training Thursday in Central Florida. Consigned by Price Thoroughbreds, the bay filly (hip 61) zipped the distance in :20 2/5.

“We knew we had a nice filly on our hands, both physically and mentally,” said Andro Price, whose wife Tracey was aboard for the work. “You never know if they’re going to go that fast because we never ask them to go that fast. So we were very happy with that work.”

The juvenile is out of Motel Lass (Bates Motel) and is a half-sister to stakes winner Stormin’ Lyon (Storm Boot) and Quick Flip (Speightstown). The Prices purchased the filly for $130,000 at last year’s Fasig-Tipton October Yearling Sale.

“We thought she was a very well-balanced filly,” Price recalled of the youngster’s appeal last fall. “Cairo Prince was stamping his horses and we had looked at a handful of them, so we just thought she was the one for us. She fell in our price range and her mother produces stakes winners, and we liked that.”

The bay filly is a May 29 foal and was given time to mature, according to Price.

“Luckily we had great partners on her and they were patient and they let us give her the time she needed,” Price said.

Andro and Tracey Price enjoyed a banner day at last year’s OBS April sale when the couple pinhooked a filly by Munnings, purchased for $67,000 at Fasig October, for $425,000. Price said he found buying at the yearling sales last fall more competitive.

“I tried to stay in that price range, the $50-70,000 range,” he said. “It was just a little harder to do that this year. I did want that kind of horse, that’s the kind of horse my buyers are looking for now, and I think you had to pay a little bit more for that type because we are all looking for the same type of horse.”

A pair of juveniles shared the day’s fastest furlong time of :9 4/5. First to hit that :9 4/5 mark was hip 114, a filly by You Luckie Mann out of Party of Eight (Evansville Slew). Bred by George Gurrola, the gray filly is consigned by Champions of the Future, Agent III.

Also working in :9 4/5 was hip 211, a colt from the final crop of Scat Daddy. Consigned by Top Line Sales, he is out of Satulah (Gone West), a daughter of graded stakes winner War Thief (Lord At War {Arg}) and a half-sister to graded stakes winner Boss Lafitte (Dynaformer).

“The colt prepped really well for us over here last week, so we knew he had it in him,” said Top Line’s Torie Gladwell. “The :9 4/5 was a pleasant surprise. We thought :10 1/5 or :10 flat, but the :9 4/5 just made it more special.”

Gladwell continued, “This colt looks a picture of Scat Daddy. He’s almost black, dark bay, and he’s put together really well, with great balance. I think he’s going to be really popular.”

The juvenile RNA’d for $385,000 at last year’s Keeneland September sale and Top Line Sales is selling the colt on behalf of his breeder, Don Ming.

“Don and Beccie Ming are good friends of ours,” Gladwell said. “It’s a family operation out of Morriston. They actually trained the horse and did all the work to get him ready.”

Top Line Sales sent out 10 horses to work during Thursday’s first of four sessions of the July under-tack show.

“We had a great tack show today with a bunch of happy owners,” Gladwell said. “It sprinkled on us a little bit in the morning and we were delayed maybe 15 minutes, but all of the horses handled the track really well.”

A colt by Uncle Mo (hip 41) was the fastest of three juveniles to work three furlongs Thursday when he covered the distance in :32 2/5. Consigned by Gayle Woods, the youngster is out of Mississippi Queen (Artie Schiller), a half-sister to Grade I winner Asi Siempre (El Prado {Ire}).

The under-tack show for the June sale continues through Sunday with sessions beginning daily at 7:30 a.m. The sale will be held next Wednesday through Friday with bidding beginning each day at 10 a.m.

View the full article