NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Opening Day Double for Frankel As Monarchs Glen Wins the Wolferton

• Journalists

Carrying a Frankie Dettori in irresistible mood, the unpredictable Monarchs Glen (GB) (Frankel {GB}) was on his best behaviour as he swooped to provide his sire and owner-breeder with an opening day Royal Ascot double in the Listed Wolferton H. Last seen finishing in front of only one of his 15 rivals in Meydan’s G1 Dubai Turf at the end of March, last year’s G3 Darley S. winner was playing second fiddle to fellow Frankel homebred Mirage Dancer (GB) in the betting at 8-1 but whereas that rival got stuck in behind rivals at a crucial point, Dettori was riding on the crest of a wave and his daring dash up the inner paid off as he delivered the third of his three winning rides for John Gosden on the front end approaching the furlong pole. Soon beyond reach, the 8-1 shot was the comfortable scorer by a length and the same from the 33-1 shots Euginio (Ire) (Fastnet Rock {Aus}) and Muntahaa (Ire) (Dansili {GB}). “I took a chance and it worked out, but I didn’t expect this one to win,” his rider said. “Three rides and three winners–what an amazing day and it’s making up for last year [when he missed the meeting through injury]. This track has been so lucky for me and John Gosden is on fire.”

MONARCHS GLEN (GB), g, 4, Frankel (GB)–Mirabilis (GSW-US, SW & G1SP-Fr, $275,664), by Lear Fan.
O-Khalid Abdullah; B-Juddmonte Farms Ltd (GB); T-John Gosden; J-Lanfranco Dettori.

View the full article