NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Funeral Services for Olin Gentry to be Held Friday

• Journalists

The funeral service information for accomplished horseman Olin B. Gentry has been announced. The funeral mass will occur Friday at 12 p.m. at St. Paul Catholic Church on 501 W Short St. in Lexington. Burial will follow at Calvary Cemetery on 874 West Main St.

In Thursday’s TDN, a number of horsemen shared their remembrances of Gentry. An additional remembrance follows:

I was asked to say a few words or reminisce about a fond story I have of Olin Gentry and in all honesty it is a grander task than I could’ve imagined. He arrived into my life in 2003, and it’s hard to believe that at that time he was the same age as I am now. I didn’t know of him and had never really heard of him, but I was immediately intimidated because he was so well thought of by everyone who cited his name. Eventually, some of the intimidation would wear off. There was no doubt in my mind that he was cerebral, analytical and forward-thinking, but he wasn’t intimidating. He had a great ability to handle extremely stressful situations with what looked like relative ease. My stint at Paramount was brief but because of him and Pat Costello I felt like I had received a substantial education. Eventually, I went back to Ocala, Florida and of course Olin stayed in Lexington and we would cross paths at the sales but little conversation was really had until the last two years of his life. We became business associates, partners, friends and counselors in some regards. We had both grown up not only in the sales industry but also in the shadows of larger-than-life figures that both of us would call ‘dad.’ We both also contended with similar demons, were open about it and found consolation in speaking to one another. My only regret is not having taken the time to sincerely know Olin my entire life; things could have been more enjoyable and definitely entertaining. He had a heart of gold. He was not egotistical. He was most concerned with how you were doing or how your significant other was doing and since Friday afternoon when I last saw him that is what I’ve thought most about. It is also the most significant thing I hope to take away from knowing him. He cared A LOT. So much so that he gave his ‘heart of gold’ to a transplant recipient in the North Florida Regional Medical Center the day that he died, along with any other piece of him that could help another human being. He was that kind of guy; something most would aspire to be. It goes with out saying that you will be missed, my friend. –Justin Casse

View the full article