NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Zoffany’s Unbeaten Main Edition Takes the Albany

• Journalists

Saif Ali’s unbeaten Main Edition (Ire) (Zoffany {Ire}) entered the G3 Albany S. in the shadow of two TDN Rising Stars from Ballydoyle, but ultimately she proved best in a quality renewal which is sure to have an impact on next year’s Classics. Off the mark at Windsor May 21 before deying a penalty in a Goodwood novice stakes June 1, the 7-1 shot was forced to race away from the early pace set by the Wesley Ward-trained Stillwater Cove (Quality Road) who blazed the trail far side. Pulling the centre-group along throughout under James Doyle, she stayed on gamely to hold Godolphin’s determined La Pelosa (Ire) (Dandy Man {Ire}) by a neck at the line, with the far-side “winner” Fairyland (Ire) (Kodiac {GB}) a half length away for Aidan O’Brien and her stablemate and 2-1 favourite Just Wonderful (Dansili {GB}) only 14th. “It wasn’t easy for her from our draw, but I went straight up where the [Royal] carriage went earlier,” Doyle explained. “That’s where I found myself and the pressure going onto the ground meant it must be slightly quicker, but that’s all I had as I was doing it all on my own. I had such a willing partner and she’s so brave.” Trainer Mark Johnston added, “I knew she was pretty useful and we think our 2-year-old fillies are very strong. She is one of the leading bunch, which says a lot for all the others.”

MAIN EDITION (IRE), f, 2, Zoffany (Ire)–Maine Lobster, by Woodman. (62,000gns Ylg ’17 TATOCT).
O-Saif Ali; B-Minch Bloodstock (IRE); T-Mark Johnston; J-James Doyle. £51,039. Lifetime Record: 3-3-0-0, £62,295.

View the full article