NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Camelot’s Arthur Kitt an Emotive Winner of the Chesham

• Journalists

Royal Ascot’s final day opened with one of the stories of the week, as Chasemore Farm’s Arthur Kitt (GB) (Camelot {GB}) emerged from a story of genuine adversity to prevail in the Listed Chesham S. Having almost died at birth when his dam, the 2012 G2 Queen Mary S. heroine Ceiling Kitty (GB) (Red Clubs {Ire}) had to be euthanized, the winner needed resuscitating several times and had a twisted leg but came through all that to be raised by a foster mare en route to his eventual debut at Haydock May 25. Successful by 2 1/2 lengths in that six-furlong contest, the bay traded at 13-2 here and after being in touch early on the outer of the group racing up the centre was ridden before halfway and given reminders three out. Staying on stoutly to gain the lead with a furlong to race, he veered left but held on from Nate the Great (GB) (Nathaniel {Ire}) to score by a neck, with Duke of Hazzard (Fr) (Lope De Vega {Ire}) 3 1/4 lengths behind in third. The red-hot 5-4 favourite Natalie’s Joy (GB) (Lope de Vega {Ire}) was only seventh. Owner Andrew Black said, “It’s the most special moment. I have more emotional attachment to him than I’ve ever had to a horse–the night he was born was such an incredibly difficult and painful time, so I always hoped he’d be special. We put her to Camelot to win this. He was always much more friendly than the other horses, which is often the case with foals raised by foster mares. I think Royal Applause was brought up by a foster mare.”

ARTHUR KITT (GB), 129, c, 2, Camelot (GB)–Ceiling Kitty (GB) (GSW-Eng, $122,988), by Red Clubs (Ire).
O/B-Chasemore Farm (GB); T-Tom Dascombe; J-Richard Kingscote. £51,039. Lifetime Record: 2-2-0-0, £57,508.

View the full article