NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Weir Breaks Victorian Record

• Journalists

Darren Weir broke the record for the number of Victorian metropolitan winners in a season on Saturday when Pacodali (Ire) (Paco Boy {Ire}) lead home stable-mate Sixties Groove (Ire) (Sixties Icon {GB}) in a handicap at Caulfield. In saddling his 138th winner Weir was breaking his own record and it wasn’t a milestone he was particularly chasing. “I don’t worry too much about records but I am really proud of the team who work so hard behind the scenes,” Weir told Racing And Sports. “I just think it proves that everyone is doing their job at home because you certainly can’t be in every spot when you’ve got as many horses as what I have, and the places that I have. Everyone is doing a great job,” he added. The winner and runner up are both European imports having began their careers with Johnny Murtagh and Jeremy Noseda respectively and Pacodali was winning for the fifth time for Weir, adding to the Gowran Park maiden win he achieved for Murtagh in 2016. The Australian racing season ends July 31 and it gives Weir a month to try and beat his current record holding 449 winners nationally that he set last year.

View the full article