NOTICE TO BOAY'ers: Major Update Coming ×
Bit Of A Yarn

Masar Works Well Ahead Of Eclipse

• Journalists

Godolphin’s G1 Investec Derby hero Masar (Ire) (New Approach {Ire}) came through a racecourse gallop on Newmarket’s July Course in pleasing fashion on Saturday morning. Regular work partner Brett Doyle rode Masar over seven furlongs in company with stable-mates Alqamar (GB) (Dubawi {Ire}) and African Jazz (Ire) (Cape Cross {Ire}) and he readily pulled clear of the pair to leave trainer Charlie Appleby in confident mood ahead of the colt’s next target, the G1 Coral Eclipse at Sandown July 7. “I was very pleased with him. He had his same two galloping companions there and we covered the same trip. He did it equally as well, if not probably better, than before Epsom,” Appleby said. “I’m not going to hype him much more, as he is a Derby winner, so I can’t really put much more positive spin on it. Physically, he looks great. We go there with a horse we feel is in the best condition we can get him in and at this stage they have got us to beat. This will put him spot on for the Eclipse,” he added.

Also in action up the July course was Epsom Derby third Roaring Lion (Kitten’s Joy) who came up the straight under Kieran O’Neill in front of the fellow John Gosden trained Master Singer (Giant’s Causeway). G2 Dante S. winner Roaring Lion also has the Eclipse on his radar but will have a two length deficit to make up on his Epsom conqueror.

View the full article